New to SPS

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tx Medic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tx Medic

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 5, 2014
Messages
530
Reaction score
0
Location
Southeast Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently setting up a 75 gallon and I would like to keep some SPS. I currently have some LPS and sofities that will get moved to this tank when it finishes cycling. I would like to know what SPS are a good starting point and what should I expect. I have a aquatic life 4 bulb t5ho fixture with 2 coral+ 1 Blue+ and one actinic. I also have a Jebao wp25 and another 800gph powerhead. I will be running a deep sand bed and I have about 80Lbs of rock.
I am currently scaping my rock and I am trying to make some areas that I can place sps high up and my lps down low and zoas everywhere else.
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0563.jpg
    IMAG0563.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 148
My recommendations for starting SPS:

Digitata
Montis (caps or encrusting)
Stylo
Setosa
and as a beginner acro, Green Slimer

HTH ;)
 
Most montis are pretty easy and birds nests. I also agree with mds list. Make sure your alk an calcium is at the right levels. On any new coral you get do a little research not all sps need to be blasted by light an flow.
Nice to see a fellow medic on the forms.
 
Most montis are pretty easy and birds nests. I also agree with mds list. Make sure your alk an calcium is at the right levels. On any new coral you get do a little research not all sps need to be blasted by light an flow.
Nice to see a fellow medic on the forms.
I think I will start with a pink birds nest or else a monti digi. Hey its nice being able to have a controlled environment as opposed to work lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new