new to sumps questions

robert teseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 yr of keeping saltwater, yet my 1st sump. so, I,m running a mag 12 return, a mag 9 for the skimmer and a mag 3 for the fuge. I also have 2 wave's in the tank, I,m running 5 deg f above a tank with no sump. so, does this sound normal.? I assume this is from pump heat. there are no heaters running at this time. also after about 1 month I see a little coating of debris? in the bottom of the sump. how does one remove it?

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The extra heat is more than likely from the pumps. If it get to be too much, you could probably bring the temperature down with a fan or two. As far as getting rid of the detritus goes, I do my water changes from the sump so I vacuum it out then. Are you using filter socks? Whether or not they are necessary is controversial, but in my experience they do at least help keep the sump clean.

OP
OP
R

robert teseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no on the socks, but I use 2 layers of foam blocks that the flow has to go thru. it's a lifereef sump

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back