New to the hobby, but bought an established tank

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scott Jeffries I'm going to go to the lfs to have them test the water because I don't know if I'm just doing it wrong. I didn't know high phosphates can kill, maybe that's the issue, my total volume is around 125 gallons, so I guess around 20-25 gallons should be good so it doesn't shock the corals too much?
Have them give you numbers and note what test kit or kits they use. Let us know.
10 to 20 % is just fine... more if your alk is over 12. Like stated above every other day if you need to
You might even take your test kits with you and have them show you how to test to make sure you are doing it correctly.

OP
OP
M

Mo_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically you wouldn’t want to do large frequent water changes because it can upset the balance of your system but in a situation like yours you don’t really have a choice.. I recently had a similar issue and did 20% water changes every other day for a week or two until my levels where close to where I wanted them.

Yea I figured I really didn't face that much of a choice, I like the idea of changing out water every other day instead of all together

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey retro reefer, thanks for the reply, do you know if large water changes are safe? I've heard me lfs tell me that I should weekly small water changes so it doesn't affect the tank too much, it's that better for this situation or since my parameters are so high i should do a large water change?

FAITHFUL, weekly 10% water changes will allow you to get things in check. At 10%, the change will be gradual enough for your corals to endure.

OP
OP
M

Mo_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is 2x higher than what they should be. I dont know what test kit you use. This is an issue for sure if correct.

Yes turn them down to 40 to 50% . If you can control blue and white go 20% white and 60% blue

I'm using the api test kit, it came with tank, and they're not expired so I thought it should be fine, is that a good brand? And I'll adjust the light levels rn GOD willing thank you

OP
OP
M

Mo_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have them give you numbers and note what test kit or kits they use. Let us know.
10 to 20 % is just fine... more if your alk is over 12. Like stated above every other day if you need to
You might even take your test kits with you and have them show you how to test to make sure you are doing it correctly.

Okay will keep everyone updated on the results from the lfs

OP
OP
M

Mo_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I got the water tested from my lfs, I think I have found, theybsaid my phosphates are really high, they said ammonia, nitrates etc are good except mag calcium and alk are high too but they said that's not as bad, so I bought some phosphate beans and little bags to put them in my sump, he said that high phosphates will kill corals so I think furst should be the issue, thanks everyone who commented, will post pics when corals are back hopefully lol

Blacktank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foods can have a lot of phosphates, especially frozen. Watch the ingredients and how much you feed and everything will stabalize nicely. Good luck

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good advice already about water changes and nutrients. Personally, the first thing I'd look at is salinity, especially since all 3 major parameters seem high. What is being used to measure it with, and is it calibrated? The mention of API test kits, freshwater LEDs and cannister filters, I'd not be surprised if the salinity was being checked with a cheap plastic hydrometer. The best tool you could get right now, if you haven't already, is a decent refractometer and a bottle of 35ppt calibration solution.
I'd suggest you stop buying more livestock and just focus on managing the water for now.

Start with salinity, temperature and getting a good water change routine down. Keep an eye daily on ammonia for a week or so.
Dig out some old towels. An unsupervised siphon hose can get away from you faster than a 4 year old in a toy store.

Manage the water and the parameters will slowly come back to a more normal range. Worry about alk, calcium and mag in a couple of weeks.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
API are n ont great. Get Red Sea or sailfert.

OP
OP
M

Mo_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190123_140442.jpg
20190123_140719.jpg
20190123_140613.jpg
20190123_140520.jpg
20190123_140605.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mo_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: so since I added the phosphate beads, it looks like the corals are starting to come back, I also took the water for a test at the lfs and they said the phosphates were still a little high but much lower then what they were before, I appreciate everyone who took time to comment, thanks guys!

OP
OP
M

Mo_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, sorry about the bad pics, it's hard to get good pics with the phone and also the front glass is a little dirty, there's all these macroscopic white things moving around on the front glass that I dont want to wipe off because I think they might be beneficial but not sure

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
side note: that is one really long ricordia mushroom!

I'm glad things are doing better. They look okay in the pics.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R !!! Nice Ricordia.

OP
OP
M

Mo_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
side note: that is one really long ricordia mushroom!

I'm glad things are doing better. They look okay in the pics.

Lol yea it is pretty long. Idk why it hasn't split yet? Do they not split naturally or do you have to frag them? There's about 6 mouths on it think, I would have thought it would try to split already?

@spyder813 thanks man, appreciate it

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk why it hasn't split yet? Do they not split naturally or do you have to frag them?
It'll split on it's own when it's ready, if it has enough rock to stretch across. Mushrooms usually put down a new foot, and then pull themselves off the old one, leaving a blob which develops into a new head. I have one in my frag tank that just did that last week. For quite a few days it looked like chewing gum stretched between two frag disks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back