New to the Hobby

JFish107

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2026
Messages
30
Reaction score
39
Location
Pennsylvania
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am new to the forum and also the hobby. As a kid I had a freshwater aquarium and was always under the impression saltwater was just too complicated and expensive. I started doing some research and learned it can be as complicated and expensive as you make it.

I bought an IM15, built a scape and cycled the tank fishless with turbo start. Eventually I added a small cuc and later introduced a pink spot goby and pistol shrimp. Unfortunately I didn’t realize the pistol was a blue legged pistol and they don’t normally pair. He is still a lot of fun see at feeding time when he emerges. The goby and the pistol have been cohabitating in a cave, so maybe they will pair. I added my first corals this week, a gsp and two Zoas. I cheaped out on the light so I’m on the hunt for a replacement. I didn’t realize how much evaporation would happen everyday so an ATO is also on the wishlist.

The tank has been a ton of fun so far and a big hit with the family and children. This forum was a big help as I researched and learned about the hobby. I already had the tape measure out for an eventual larger tank…

IMG_0830.jpeg
 
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif
 
Hello all, I am new to the forum and also the hobby. As a kid I had a freshwater aquarium and was always under the impression saltwater was just too complicated and expensive. I started doing some research and learned it can be as complicated and expensive as you make it.

I bought an IM15, built a scape and cycled the tank fishless with turbo start. Eventually I added a small cuc and later introduced a pink spot goby and pistol shrimp. Unfortunately I didn’t realize the pistol was a blue legged pistol and they don’t normally pair. He is still a lot of fun see at feeding time when he emerges. The goby and the pistol have been cohabitating in a cave, so maybe they will pair. I added my first corals this week, a gsp and two Zoas. I cheaped out on the light so I’m on the hunt for a replacement. I didn’t realize how much evaporation would happen everyday so an ATO is also on the wishlist.

The tank has been a ton of fun so far and a big hit with the family and children. This forum was a big help as I researched and learned about the hobby. I already had the tape measure out for an eventual larger tank…

IMG_0830.jpeg
Welcome to the hobby!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new