New to the hobby

rgrace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Warrior, AL I am new to this hobby. I have kept fresh water aquariums for years. I have always drooled over the reef tanks, I was planning on setting up a 10 gallon nano. I recently found a complete reef 75 gallon setup very cheaply, so that will be my reef tank. I am planning on making my rock and seeding it with liverock. Anyway, I look forward to getting involved on this forum and maybe a local club.

jason.tammy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, you will find alot of good info and conversation on here.We are planing a meeting sometime this mnth in Decatur and we plan to host the May meeting here in Cullman not far from you.Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jason

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome 2 R2R, do your self a favor, save some money and head achs, by dry lace rock, or dead live rock from someone getting out of the hobby, been the diy on the rock , may work out, but most of the time it is more trouble than it is worth

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.. Good choice on the 75 as a first tank... Those nanos can chase away newbs since there really hard to maintain and keep stable... A few extra drops of this or that can make a big change in a nano and scare people away...:) good luck and post away with questions...

OP
OP
R

rgrace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware that it will take a few months for the rock to cure, I am willing to wait. If it does not work out with the homemade rock I will buy rock. I am new, so it will be a learning experience either way.

OP
OP
R

rgrace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, you will find alot of good info and conversation on here.We are planing a meeting sometime this mnth in Decatur and we plan to host the May meeting here in Cullman not far from you.Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jason

It was nice meeting you today, you have a really nice place. Thanks for allowing me to drool over your corals for a while.. :) I will definitely be back once my system gets up and going.

jason.tammy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for coming out.I have been where you are and it only gets worse.LOL.I would'nt change for anything.Some days are better than others but sitting back and watching the tank at the end of the day makes all the work well worth it.

OP
OP
R

rgrace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First sign of life, amphipods I think, definitely little shrimpy looking critters. So glad to see a little movement, 2 or 3 days in.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome

IMHO the single most important thing you can do is first establish the plant life (macro algaes or even corraline algae) then do the rest.

But I am kinda a one trick pony and broken record on that.

my .02

OP
OP
R

rgrace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a small piece of live rock for the corraline that was growing on it, since my tank will be empty for a while, I decided I would go ahead and get corraline growing in it. The amphipods were just an added bonus. I am also working on a refugium and will get the macro algaes at that point. I was surprised actually to see these amphipods swimming around, there are dozens of them if not hundreds. Some are swimming some are crawling on the sand.

What you said makes sense, that is what I always did with my freshwater, bought lots of plants, then once they were established started adding livestock. Either way I plan on going slowly once I start adding critters. But that will be a while down the road, my rock that I made is curing, but it will be a while yet before it is ready. Until then I will happily watch my little amphipods swim, and hopefully get some good corraline algae growth.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What you said makes sense, that is what I always did with my freshwater, bought lots of plants, then once they were established started adding livestock.

A big +1 from me. I have had fw planted tanks for up to 8 years since the late '70s. nothing but the tank water, lights, substrate fish and plants. I don't even do water changes. the natural or leiden tank method. Diane walstad (spelling) wrote a book on that.

Same thing happens with saltwater fish tank with macro algaes. With Reef tanks you do have to dose things like calcium alk and magnesium. But to get thing really going it is best to balance out the tank with the macros first. Then do the rest.

FWIW Tomoko in our club has a awesome 75g planted. But she is more high tech. But still very knowledgable and well respected in the planted community.

my .02

OP
OP
R

rgrace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you grow the macro algaes in the main tank? Are there any macros that look cool, that are not a danger of going asexual or whatever it is that they do?

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you grow the macro algaes in the main tank? Are there any macros that look cool, that are not a danger of going asexual or whatever it is that they do?

Red grape, and various caulerpas IMHO look kool. But fish and cleaner crews eat them. Hard macros like halimedia can be in the displays.

What I did with me 55g was just cram in an egg crate 3" in front of the back glass so the macros thrived between the egg crate and back glass. I also added 2 4" 2 tube utility fixtures to light up that area. Nitrates dropped to 0 from overe 60ppm in three weeks. Plus my tangs had live macros to eat all day as some macros poked through the egg crate. Not to mention thriving pods.

caulerpas can go sexual degrading the tank. I had that happen once with a cloudy tank that lasted for a few days.

my .02

BHAMR6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey where in warrior are you I'm in Kimberly ????? They are several of use who live in Kimberly, Gdale and Fultondale....

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rgrace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red grape, and various caulerpas IMHO look kool. But fish and cleaner crews eat them. Hard macros like halimedia can be in the displays.

Where did you get the macro's from? From everyting I have read I was under the impression that macro's were a big problem in the display tank, I always wanted a few macros though, thought it would look more natural with a few plants.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 74 78.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.3%
Back