New to the Pittsburgh Area

oceanhighz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,
My wife and I will be relocating to the area in May/June as she takes a new job. I'm currently looking (oh what fun that always is).

Anyway, I'm hoping to join the club and get to know some people prior to moving out there, with hopes of a hand or guidance on places to go for livestock/equip.

A little about me:
I'm an Environmental Scientist and have been in the hobby for almost 17 years. I currently have an 80 gallon Deep Blue mixed reef, and my friends consider me a coral hoarder.

I'm currently debating on moving my tank, or getting a new/used setup for the new house and moving all the livestock into that, not sure on what I want to do yet. Anyway, hoping to make some new friends and learn some about that area (we're moving to Shaler) and join an active club again, since the area I currently reside in is lacking in that department.

Brandon

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Some of the better local stores to us is Elmer's aquarium in Monroeville, aquaworld in Pittsburgh to name a couple.

mikenestle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Burgh! I like all the stores above. Elmers has a good fish selection and great staff. The Reef Gallery has a nice coral selection. Aquaworld has some of both.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We would be glad to have you! In addition to the above mentioned stores, there is also saltwater sanctuary and wet pets.

BIGGUN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the area!!! You'll be about 5-10 miles from me.
Make sure to make a few meeting to check out our club.

Where are you moving from?

Kevin

bluegrassreefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up a guy on Facebook by the name of beau Hughes he's a wholesaler in your area and owns exotic aquatics you also have eye catching corals just a few hundred miles away good luck

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up a guy on Facebook by the name of beau Hughes he's a wholesaler in your area and owns exotic aquatics you also have eye catching corals just a few hundred miles away good luck

I've never heard of exotic aquatics, where is that located?
Eye Catching Corals is a wholesale facility not open to the public, minus a few "professionals"

As far as stores go you have
Elmer's Aquarium in Monroeville
Aqua World on rt 65
Odd Ball Pets on Josephine st in Baldwin
Saltwater Sanctuary on Morganza rd
Wet Pets on rt 19 south
The Reef Gallery on rt 19 just north of Cranberry, Pa

Petland Norwin also gives the club members a pretty nice discount. All the stores that I mentioned with the exception of Odd Ball Pets gives club members a discount.

I would suggest taking a day and driving around and checking them all out. Different people like different things about different stores. Heck, maybe we could do a club group trip tour around to the stores some time.

We hope to meet you once you get situated.

OP
OP
O

oceanhighz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. After I get up there, I plan on visiting all of the stores. I had heard of Reef Gallery and Odd Ball Pets in my searches (I always look to see what stores will be around when I move).

I may be looking to by a nice used setup prior to moving out, so I can set it up, and move my stuff into it, and then bring my current tank out at the end of the move. Still working on moving plans. My last move (from Macungie to Bethlehem) I moved 4 tanks (the livestock stayed in the garage) and combined them into one in my Deep Blue.

I'm hoping to have an SPS dominant tank and then a mixed reef as well. But we'll see how things go.

Anyone in the group happen to be in or have any contacts with any Environmental Consulting firms in the area?

OP
OP
O

oceanhighz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the area!!! You'll be about 5-10 miles from me.
Make sure to make a few meeting to check out our club.

Where are you moving from?

Kevin
We're moving from Bethlehem. So it'll be a bit of a haul. Takes 4.5 hours without a 7 month old.... and all of our stuff, haha.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%

Back