Upgrading Nem tank

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently in the process of upgrading a nano system to a whole new tank (Nuvo 15). The current system is a 10g and roughly 8 months old. It's stocked with live rock from my main system that has been running for over a decade. I do have a RBTA in the current nano and it's doing well. I'm curious if folks think it would be a mistake to move it into the new tank in a few weeks or if it would need longer to cycle even with old rock, sand, media. I've always moved pretty fast with fish/coral doing the old rock method, but I'm new to nems and they certainly are a different cnidarian than the corals I'm used to. They are fun, but do take some getting used to.

Thanks y'all

slav621

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently in the process of upgrading a nano system to a whole new tank (Nuvo 15). The current system is a 10g and roughly 8 months old. It's stocked with live rock from my main system that has been running for over a decade. I do have a RBTA in the current nano and it's doing well. I'm curious if folks think it would be a mistake to move it into the new tank in a few weeks or if it would need longer to cycle even with old rock, sand, media. I've always moved pretty fast with fish/coral doing the old rock method, but I'm new to nems and they certainly are a different cnidarian than the corals I'm used to. They are fun, but do take some getting used to.

Thanks y'all
I think it would be fine. I would suggest maybe using half the water from your other tank to help too. I have heard that you are not supposed to reuse sand but I could be mistaken.

OP
OP
Bpones

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be fine. I would suggest maybe using half the water from your other tank to help too. I have heard that you are not supposed to reuse sand but I could be mistaken.
Thanks for the advice!
I plan to do a 50% WC on the current tank when I set up the new one and add that water in. I am going to have both running at the same time for a least 3-4 weeks just to trouble shoot everything with the new system before adding any livestock. My plan now is to move some of the sand from the 10g into the 15g right off the bat to seed the new stuff. And of course, I'll be pulling live rock from my large old tank to start as well.

I've done old rock/new tank several times with fish and easy corals. Nems are new to me though and I still have some trepidation with them.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a giant thread of those jobs, 9 years worth

answer, you can skip cycle it over anytime.

look what we do with the sand, in every job, that's key. after you prep the sand right, you just move the rocks over

no bottle bac is used, and no cycle testing was done. those are all skip cycle rip clean tank transfers or they're someone doing a reef tank disassembly at home, then re setting back up after the rip clean just to have a shining clean tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bpones

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a giant thread of those jobs, 9 years worth

answer, you can skip cycle it over anytime.

look what we do with the sand, in every job, that's key. after you prep the sand right, you just move the rocks over

no bottle bac is used, and no cycle testing was done. those are all skip cycle rip clean tank transfers or they're someone doing a reef tank disassembly at home, then re setting back up after the rip clean just to have a shining clean tank.
Very cool. Thanks for the link. This looks like what I've always done before. Just never with nem in the tank.

Optimistic about the RBT. Worst case, if it doesn't adjust well, I'll move it to my main system.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back