RBTA adjusting to new lights?

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all.
Recently upgraded my nano light from a little twin star that I had laying around to a nicrew 50 watt.

After the switch my RBTA has been more contracted. Still has good color but not expanding like it used to. Is this something folks typically see as nems adjust to new lighting?

I’m running the nicrew at 30% white, 20% blue during peak hours.

I upgraded because I was concerned the old light wouldn’t support it long term but now I’m contemplating switching back.
First pick is the old light, second is the nicrew.

Cheers!

IMG_9015.jpeg IMG_9195.jpeg

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree that the lighting is perhaps a bit of an abrupt change.
i'm not familiar with the new fixture that you added but if you're able to raise the fixture up a bit and incrementally lower it over the next 6 weeks the anemone will adjust. The same is true if you're able to lower the light intensity and slowly raise it.
mine live in the same space you'd see sps corals growing and would be alright with even more.

OP
OP
Bpones

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree that the lighting is perhaps a bit of an abrupt change.
i'm not familiar with the new fixture that you added but if you're able to raise the fixture up a bit and incrementally lower it over the next 6 weeks the anemone will adjust. The same is true if you're able to lower the light intensity and slowly raise it.
mine live in the same space you'd see sps corals growing and would be alright with even more.
Thanks for the reply. That’s what I kept hearing was that they need pretty high par so I felt like I was doing the poor thing a favor with the upgrade. I’ll try lowering the lighting intensity for the next few weeks.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your tank is very shallow it’s not getting too much light even at that size. If it was getting too much light it would be under a rock. It’s just adjusting and frankly looks healthier in the second photo.

OP
OP
Bpones

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. The tank is a standard 10g. The first pick it’s under zero blue lights. Might be why you’re thinking it dormant look as good.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimate it slowly to higher levels of the new light. Adding 5% a week until you hit about 50% and then stay there for a couple of weeks.

It looks like you're really pushing the limits for a 10 gal tank. The softies put out a fair amount of chemical warfare and you BTA wants very clean water. Weekly water changes of a couple of gallons and running carbon will keep things healthy.

OP
OP
Bpones

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimate it slowly to higher levels of the new light. Adding 5% a week until you hit about 50% and then stay there for a couple of weeks.

It looks like you're really pushing the limits for a 10 gal tank. The softies put out a fair amount of chemical warfare and you BTA wants very clean water. Weekly water changes of a couple of gallons and running carbon will keep things healthy.
I’d not considered the leather corals being aggressive. The tank has a solid amount of macro algae growing in it as well. Fish wise, it’s just those two clowns. I’m so used to larger tanks being absolutely over grown with corals (like my 75g). I was more concerned with the BTA walking and stinging the corals.

OP
OP
Bpones

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will walk around and if it decides to sit on top of a coral it will likely kill it.
Right, I understand that. That being said, I’m under the impression btas don’t need to be kept in species specific tanks.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, I understand that. That being said, I’m under the impression btas don’t need to be kept in species specific tanks.
they can thrive in basically any tank set up whether it be softies, lps or sps. The challenge comes when they get larger and decide to walk around the tank or worse, split. In a system that small you will definitely lose the other corals as nems pack a punch when they touch and at full size are easily 12" across

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem looks healthy but will probably be a challenge in a tank that small with corals. I'm in the process of removing mine from my 180g before I transfer the corals to a new tank. I'm tired of having to move coral so the nems don't kill them.
They do like light. I keep mine under 300-350 par. Someone mentioned them needing clean water. I don't really find that to be a concern. The tank my nems are in runs PO4 at 0.4 - 0.9 and NO3 15-20
PXL_20240225_221708639.jpg

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem looks healthy but will probably be a challenge in a tank that small with corals. I'm in the process of removing mine from my 180g before I transfer the corals to a new tank. I'm tired of having to move coral so the nems don't kill them.
They do like light. I keep mine under 300-350 par. Someone mentioned them needing clean water. I don't really find that to be a concern. The tank my nems are in runs PO4 at 0.4 - 0.9 and NO3 15-20
PXL_20240225_221708639.jpg
those numbers would be considered ideal parameters for your nutrients. Anything higher would be dirty and lower would be consider ULNS

OP
OP
Bpones

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been thinking, if a Nem looks unhappy, but isn’t moving itself, would you say it’s likely a water parameter issue instead of a flow or lighting issue? Just curious what your thoughts would be with more experience.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the system been running? Most recommend to wait a 8-10 months before one should be considered as they can be sensitive to the instability associated with a young tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back