New to this, need suggestions

13schmn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a 55 gallon tempered glass aquarium with a stand and am wanting to start a saltwater tank with a few fish, live rock and a few anenomes. I am looking at a reef octopus hob protein skimmer but other than that have nothing else bought. Anyone have suggestions on powerheads or any other equipment?

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi 13schmn,
Sounds like you off to a great start! So, your going for a hang on back skimmer? Then I am assuming no sump?? If so, that's a great skimmer. I run a Reef Octopus on my 65 gallon reef and love it.
If you want anemones you will need brighter then average lighting. I would recommend the Reefbreeders led fixtures. Excellent and very affordable.
For flow, whats your budget like?

OP
OP

13schmn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that i couldn't do a sump because it is all tempered. I have a decent budget on this tank, it will probably be about a year before i have bought everything i need to start

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a sump you would need to do a hob overflow. There are some good ones out there and there are quite a few people running them without any issues

OP
OP

13schmn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the benefit of a sump? More fish and less fluctuations of nitrates and stuff right?

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I use on my 40 breeder
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1440968535.836355.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1440968594.479703.jpg

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More water volume more stability. In other words changes are not so drastic with larger volumes of water as compared to small volumes also a sump allows you to have someplace to put mechanical and chemical filtration without it hanging on your display tank for all to see.

OP
OP

13schmn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially all i would need in my sump is a protein skimmer and a heater right?

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on other things may want to run a carbon reactor and a gfo reactor some even do bio pelletts but in essence yes a skimmer and heater and of course a properly sized return pump may even want a sep chamber for macro algae like chaeto to help with nitrate and posphate reduction

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it simple at first. It will make things much easier. Yes, you can have a sump and place your heater and other things inside to keep the tank looking cleaner. However, I service tanks with both. And both run fine.
There is always risk to hang on overflows. If you want a sump, you may be able to drill a hole in the back or bottom of the tank with a glass hole saw. Then you can put a stand pipe in. This relies on gravity vs. siphon. Gravity is much more reliable for sure.......

OP
OP

13schmn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just confused because people say you don't need a sump for a 55 but other people say you do, is it just dependent on how many fish you have?

OP
OP

13schmn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright enough with the sumps then lol what is your recommendation on power heads?

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13schmn,
There are good pumps and ...........................not so good ones. Vortech and Tunze are best in my opinion. The new AquaMedic wave pumps are nice for a budget minded person. Many guys have good luck with the Jaboe pumps too. Jaboe is another budget China pump.
I have by far and away the best luck with Vortech and Tunze. I run a Vortech MP20(7 years) and a Tunze wave box. Love them both!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back