New Trident - readings appear impossible

r21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a Trident today and set it up, however the readings seem improbable possibly impossible from a chemistry perspective. Dkh is being measured at 6.6, I have a Hanna checker which reads the calibration vials perfectly, and that gives me 7.9 on my water. Calcium is showing as 575 and Mg at 1384. I know it can take a while to settle down but isnt a dKH of 6.6 and Ca of 575ppm impossible?

trident.JPG

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a Trident today and set it up, however the readings seem improbable possibly impossible from a chemistry perspective. Dkh is being measured at 6.6, I have a Hanna checker which reads the calibration vials perfectly, and that gives me 7.9 on my water. Calcium is showing as 575 and Mg at 1384. I know it can take a while to settle down but isnt a dKH of 6.6 and Ca of 575ppm impossible?

trident.JPG

It hasn’t been calibrated yet, there is no reason to panic. Follow the instructions if you want good results :).

After it runs for a day or two of it running, calibrate.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it run for at least 2 weeks before you calibrate it also make sure there isn't any air bubbles in the sensors.

No need for 2 weeks. That’s like 1/4 of the reagent where you will have inaccurate results, totally defeating the purpose of trident controlled dosing. The instructions suggestion of 2 days is more than enough.

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for 2 weeks. That’s like 1/4 of the reagent where you will have inaccurate results, totally defeating the purpose of trident controlled dosing. The instructions suggestion of 2 days is more than enough.
If you read the instructions from Neptune they state to give a 2 week break in before you calibrate due to it is factory calibrated.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the instructions from Neptune they state to give a 2 week break in before you calibrate due to it is factory calibrated.

Wherever I read, I see 48 hours. Where do you see 2 weeks?

48 hours is mentioned in the main trident instructions, the trident calibration instructions, and the trident FAQ.

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 1.56.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 1.59.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 2.00.15 PM.png

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible to have low alk and high calcium if that is what you mean. With that said a dKh of 6.6 is way too acidic for saltwater to become imo. Likely it is just a calibration issue with the trident.

OP
OP
r21

r21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replies, I'll give it two days and try calibrating as that is what the instructions say. I just didnt think it was possible chemically possible to have low alk with high calcium. I'll update this thread in couple of days after its been calibrated. I'm not worried I trust the Hanna, that's what I've been using for a year and I believe the Alk is much closer to 8 than trident is currently saying.

OP
OP
r21

r21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After waiting 4 days to let the Trident settle, I calibrated the device using the supplied solution. Following calibration the results did change for Ca and Mg, Ca dropped around 100, Mg rose about 40; Alk didn't change.
Post calibration.JPG

Still concerned why I wasn't getting a reading close to the Hanna for Alk I tested the Trident calibration solution with the Hanna. The calibration fluid had a Alk of 8.5, Hanna read this at 9.1 at 0.6 closer than the 1.3 difference between my tank water tests using Hanna and Trident. I decided to buy new Hanna reagent to see if that was impacting the results - the result, Hanna now reads tank at 6.6 Alk so identical to Trident and I do have a low Alk that I'm now slowing raising back to the 8 I thought I was at.

JohnnyBeagle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let my trident run a week before calibrating it and it matches my Hanna exactly. Hanna barely gets used now

Next I'll buy a DOS and have trident control it. Pretty happy with the trident so far other than the cost of the 2 month reagents because the 6 month is unavailable

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible to have low alk and high calcium if that is what you mean. With that said a dKh of 6.6 is way too acidic for saltwater to become imo. Likely it is just a calibration issue with the trident.
I’ve got a tank with an ALK of 5 and has been for months, all corals are fine.
it is possible

SPSlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would run with it and it may shake out in the next calibration when you refill. I mean if you take percentage error on both devices and add those then your not too far away. I mean lets face it i think the overall consistancy on the results will be much closer on the machine than by a person. Take in mind all the points of error on just checking with typical instruments. Hanna definitely has taken away the eyeball % error but you still have the water and reagent volume. All with possible compounding % errors. So Hanna has a +-5% before any human errors and the Trident has a +-0.05dkh error (much tighter). I know that doesn't really answer anything but I always enjoy adding a little perspective.

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've maintained a couple mixed reef tanks at 5-6 dKH for 2 years, including SPS, but yes it's just likely a calibration issue with the Trident.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've maintained a couple mixed reef tanks at 5-6 dKH for 2 years, including SPS, but yes it's just likely a calibration issue with the Trident.

When the OP bought new Hanna calibration fluid, the readings matched the trident. So I don’t think it’s a Trident calibration issue- just an old Hanna reagent issue that led the OP to believe the Alk was higher.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back