New unknown creature… help ID please

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the middle of the night I saw this guy. I believe he is a mollusk/snail. Size wise he was pretty big. Inch plus in length about 3/8 thick. He had as you can see a clam like half shell that I don’t believe he could fit into if he wanted to. He was foraging on the live rock. He had feelers and a snail type mouth. I didn’t seem to bother any corals. I have not added anything wild in a long time so not sure the source. But from his size, I would imagine he has been in there for a while.
If anyone has a clue what he is or a direction to start some research let me know.
Thanks
IMG_1262.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, a Stomatella species would be my first thought since it doesn’t look very “hairy” like abalones typically do. Some species - such as Stomatella planulata - do get pretty large, though (to my knowledge) they’re not common in our tanks.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, a Stomatella species would be my first thought since it doesn’t look very “hairy” like abalones typically do. Some species - such as Stomatella planulata - do get pretty large, though (to my knowledge) they’re not common in our tanks.
He is well camouflaged. I saw him after lights out tonight also. (now that I know what to look for) It amazes me that I can have something in my tank for so long and not notice it. But if he is there, it probably means I do not have an unnoticed octopus in my tank...

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine hide under rocks, or vacant spots under mushroom coral when the lights are on. I think they are rapid colonizers and at times I have suspected I have had billions, but I also think the wrasses have eaten many/most of those? :cool:

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine hide under rocks, or vacant spots under mushroom coral when the lights are on. I think they are rapid colonizers and at times I have suspected I have had billions, but I also think the wrasses have eaten many/most of those? :cool:
We are talking about Stomatella right? Not copepods... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
This guy is pretty big, If I had billions of him I wouldn’t have any water volume left.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back