New unknown creature… help ID please

TangerineSpeedo

Reefing since 1989
View Badges
Joined
Jun 8, 2022
Messages
4,122
Reaction score
8,270
Location
SoCal
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So in the middle of the night I saw this guy. I believe he is a mollusk/snail. Size wise he was pretty big. Inch plus in length about 3/8 thick. He had as you can see a clam like half shell that I don’t believe he could fit into if he wanted to. He was foraging on the live rock. He had feelers and a snail type mouth. I didn’t seem to bother any corals. I have not added anything wild in a long time so not sure the source. But from his size, I would imagine he has been in there for a while.
If anyone has a clue what he is or a direction to start some research let me know.
Thanks
IMG_1262.jpeg
 
Yeah, a Stomatella species would be my first thought since it doesn’t look very “hairy” like abalones typically do. Some species - such as Stomatella planulata - do get pretty large, though (to my knowledge) they’re not common in our tanks.
 
Yeah, a Stomatella species would be my first thought since it doesn’t look very “hairy” like abalones typically do. Some species - such as Stomatella planulata - do get pretty large, though (to my knowledge) they’re not common in our tanks.
He is well camouflaged. I saw him after lights out tonight also. (now that I know what to look for) It amazes me that I can have something in my tank for so long and not notice it. But if he is there, it probably means I do not have an unnoticed octopus in my tank...
 
Mine hide under rocks, or vacant spots under mushroom coral when the lights are on. I think they are rapid colonizers and at times I have suspected I have had billions, but I also think the wrasses have eaten many/most of those? :cool:
 
Mine hide under rocks, or vacant spots under mushroom coral when the lights are on. I think they are rapid colonizers and at times I have suspected I have had billions, but I also think the wrasses have eaten many/most of those? :cool:
We are talking about Stomatella right? Not copepods... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
This guy is pretty big, If I had billions of him I wouldn’t have any water volume left.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new