Newbie - Help with glues for Aquascape

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’ve read a number of threads and watched a bunch of videos on bonding dry marco rock and caribsea rock. I’m trying to organize my thoughts and would appreciate any input. My basic question is when to use gel CA vs Marco cement

1. Am I right to think that I should use Marco cement rather than CA gel when I’m trying to bind together heavier pieces where the joint might be under a heavy load?

2. When I’m bonding two pieces together is there any benefit to clamping the pieces together while the glue/cement sets / cures?

Thanks in advance!

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CA glue with baking soda will provide a strong instant joint you can use to secure and build your structure. If you need additional support, apply the cement and even consider drilling support rods to connect the structure. Those fiberglass driveway reflectors you can get at Homey Depot or similar work well. Chop them to the correct size, drill the holes, insert rod, CA glue in place. Cement on top of that with a sprinkle of sand or substrate to clean up the joints and make it look natural.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CA glue with baking soda will provide a strong instant joint you can use to secure and build your structure. If you need additional support, apply the cement and even consider drilling support rods to connect the structure. Those fiberglass driveway reflectors you can get at Homey Depot or similar work well. Chop them to the correct size, drill the holes, insert rod, CA glue in place. Cement on top of that with a sprinkle of sand or substrate to clean up the joints and make it look natural.
Thanks @Variant how do I use the baking soda? I didn’t really understand that when I saw it.

John J in Pickens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a product name for this "CA Gel" I see mentioned? The CoralCrete is much more difficult to use than I thought it would be. Is this "CA Gel" available in stores, or would I have to go thru online to get it? Thanks! John J in SC

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a product name for this "CA Gel" I see mentioned? The CoralCrete is much more difficult to use than I thought it would be. Is this "CA Gel" available in stores, or would I have to go thru online to get it? Thanks! John J in SC
Sorry. CA is short for cyanoacrylate. Basically the stuff found in super glue.

John J in Pickens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. CA is short for cyanoacrylate. Basically the stuff found in super glue.
Thanks for the reply! Are all brand names of super glue OK to use or does the label have to mention "Aquarium Safe" or something to that effect?

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Are all brand names of super glue OK to use or does the label have to mention "Aquarium Safe" or something to that effect?
If you search around you’ll find the name brands — none say aquarium safe. But I think I’ve seen the Gorilla Super Glue, Bob Smith Industries (BSI) are a couple I remember. Lots of folks buy the ones at the Dollar store. Basically, any cyanoacrylate glue is okay

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this post is a couple of months old but @Glue Masters has what you need. I use thin and sand, it works great.
Thanks! I thought about GlueMasters and it seems like a great product. But ended up using a combo of Marco rock mortar and PaleoBond Jurassic Gel. Worked really well for me.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back