Newbie in MO

Kelly Mohr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning from the midwest US, Springfield Missouri.

I am a newbie here. Currently preparing some water, rocks and substrate in a 30 gallon hex to be transferred into a 40 gallon breeder soon. A friend is helping with the drilling and building me a sump in a 20 long. I am at the moment shopping for water movement devices, please tell me what your experience would be with water movement in a similar size tank and help direct me towards a two separate power head set up or a Gyre and why?

Kelly

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, Kelly!

tenor.gif

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

I like the Gyres, especially if you wish to keep SPS because of the type of flow.

Keep us posted with your build with lots of photos! :)

OP
OP
Kelly Mohr

Kelly Mohr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with a 40 being on the nano side of things and maybe wanting to have height to my aquascape once I get everything set up; I like the idea of 2-3 power heads. Mostly seeing the cost advantage. ($-$$) However an icecap 1k ($$) or a maxspect ($$$) may be much more sound an investment for the long run...

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Kelly! I'm so glad you joined us. As the folks above mentiond, they like gyres. I have two in my tank myself. I love mine. For flow you will need 20-50X the display tank volume an hour no matter what brand you get. So you need to find enough to pump 800-2000 gph. You should do fine with a couple powerheads -- one on each side of your tank. Just do your research, and pick out what is best for you. Before I moved to my big tank, I used Hydcor powerheads on my smaller tank. I still used them on my quarantine tanks (20L each). They are inexpensive and do their job. Welcome to Reef 2 Reef!
Snorkel girl.gif

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with a 40 being on the nano side of things and maybe wanting to have height to my aquascape once I get everything set up; I like the idea of 2-3 power heads. Mostly seeing the cost advantage. ($-$$) However an icecap 1k ($$) or a maxspect ($$$) may be much more sound an investment for the long run...
Maxspect and icecap are made by the same company. The icecap is about $100 cheaper. It’s not as heavy duty, but it works fine. My experience with any pump is they require diligent maintenance. The same goes for gyres but they are really difficult to clean. That’s the main reason I bought the icecap. I’m afraid that if I can’t clean it as well as I want/need to, than it’s life will be compromised. I hate to spend $250 on a pump I can’t clean properly. I typically would never recommend buying cheap, but in this case I see no advantage to the extra money for the Maxspect.

Style185

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! 40B is a sweet tank! I have 1 in my bedroom running a reef breeders photon v2+ 24" and 2 qp5 power heads (one on each side) works pretty well! I do have monti, digi, stylos and a few acros. Things seem happy. I'd say you can get away with 2 power heads I'd like a gyre on my 120 build though :)

OP
OP
Kelly Mohr

Kelly Mohr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxspect and icecap are made by the same company. The icecap is about $100 cheaper. It’s not as heavy duty, but it works fine. My experience with any pump is they require diligent maintenance. The same goes for gyres but they are really difficult to clean. That’s the main reason I bought the icecap. I’m afraid that if I can’t clean it as well as I want/need to, than it’s life will be compromised. I hate to spend $250 on a pump I can’t clean properly. I typically would never recommend buying cheap, but in this case I see no advantage to the extra money for the Maxspect.

That makes perfect sense!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drawing-dolphins-hand-painted-dolphin-cartoon-image-and-fish-images.jpg

Welcome Kelly! Fellow Missouri reefer here! Saint Louis area. Saint Charles county.

Great advise given! Looking forward to your build. When ready, swing over to the "members tank" thread and post some pictures. We love pictures.

Have any questions, (we love questions!) Just #reefsquad and we'll come running!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back