Newbie Q: Bundling AC and sensor cables

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m organizing my thoughts for an Apex, and have a question around bundling the AC and sensor cables.

My controller box will be separate from the tank, so I’d like to bundle the AC and sensor cables together using Velcro straps for the distance between the box and the aquarium (couple of feet). My question is whether this can be done or will the AC power cords interfere with getting good measurements from the sensor probes?

Thanks in advance.

block134

Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep then seperate. People have reported problems with bad readings with some of the sensors when they are to close to a power cable. If you need to run a power cable over top of a sensor cable do them at a right angle to each other so they look like a "+" when the cross ober each other.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep then seperate. People have reported problems with bad readings with some of the sensors when they are to close to a power cable. If you need to run a power cable over top of a sensor cable do them at a right angle to each other so they look like a "+" when the cross ober each other.
Thanks. I’ll at least keep the cable bundles separate and see how things go. Maybe I’ll try to shield the sensor cables by putting them in a metal mesh. But then I think that needs to be grounded ?

block134

Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A metal mesh would help as well. It would need to be grounded and covered/protected if it will be in the water at all. Don't want to add any un-needed metals to the water. From my experience as long as they are kept away from the power cables as best as you can then they will be fine. The metal mesh would be over kill and not worth it unless done properly.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A metal mesh would help as well. It would need to be grounded and covered/protected if it will be in the water at all. Don't want to add any un-needed metals to the water. From my experience as long as they are kept away from the power cables as best as you can then they will be fine. The metal mesh would be over kill and not worth it unless done properly.
Thanks. I think I’ll see how it goes first then shielding if necessary

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back