Newbie question

Cody000125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All!

I've had my tank for around 6 months now and everything is looking and running great. Have coralline algae growing, parameters are steady, and finally decided to try out a BTA. But my question is regarding to disease in the tank. When I got my first fish for the tank (rsr250) I got 2 clowns and a royal gramma. I decided not to quarantine them as they were the only fish in the tank, and if they ended up having anything I'd just treat the tank. Ends up they did have flukes and some other type of white spots. So I treated the tank and got everything cleared up, it's been cleared up for months now, and everything and everyone in the tank to my knowledge is happy and healthy. My question is if they did have disease on them when I first added them to the tank, should I be worried about ich or other diseases that are in the water? Should I quarantine the fish and fallow the tank for 76 days before getting any more fish? Or should I not stress them and leave it and just quarantine new fish? Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks!

OP
OP
C

Cody000125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What did you treat with when you treated the tank?
Treated with 2 doses of prazi pro spread out over 2 weeks followed by ruby reef rally pro a couple of weeks later. I wasn't sure what the white spots were for sure (thought it was brook) so went for more of a broad-spectrum solution.

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

I've had my tank for around 6 months now and everything is looking and running great. Have coralline algae growing, parameters are steady, and finally decided to try out a BTA. But my question is regarding to disease in the tank. When I got my first fish for the tank (rsr250) I got 2 clowns and a royal gramma. I decided not to quarantine them as they were the only fish in the tank, and if they ended up having anything I'd just treat the tank. Ends up they did have flukes and some other type of white spots. So I treated the tank and got everything cleared up, it's been cleared up for months now, and everything and everyone in the tank to my knowledge is happy and healthy. My question is if they did have disease on them when I first added them to the tank, should I be worried about ich or other diseases that are in the water? Should I quarantine the fish and fallow the tank for 76 days before getting any more fish? Or should I not stress them and leave it and just quarantine new fish? Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks!
Alway be careful with what you are using inside your display tank as a lot of them could have longterm effects on what can be kept in the tank afterwards unfortunately. Hopefully what you used is reef safe if not you may have contaminated everything in the tank and it will need to be re-done.

OP
OP
C

Cody000125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alway be careful with what you are using inside your display tank as a lot of them could have longterm effects on what can be kept in the tank afterwards unfortunately. Hopefully what you used is reef safe if not you may have contaminated everything in the tank and it will need to be re-done.
It wasn't what was dosed in the tank as prazipro and rally pro are both safe. I'm more concerned about ich or other diseases still lingering.

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't what was dosed in the tank as prazipro and rally pro are both safe. I'm more concerned about ich or other diseases still lingering.
If the tank once had it I would always assume it still has it in some form. But you will alway be introducing things into your tank even with the best quarantine setup. It's about managing the pests in the tank. You can run uv to help in your current situation with the fish. But as far as adding in a BTA if your water is good I don't see an issue.

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The importance and usefulness of proper quarantine procedures cannot be overstated. If I were you, I would remove all current fish, subject them to a full quarantine, and keep the DT fallow for 3 months. Then ensure that any future additions are fully quarantined before adding.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There is always potential for disease and why some cannot be predicted, some can be avoided with good water quality and diet. Often, its tanks with poor filtration, leftover food and improper water source that suffer from disease.
Prevention and eradication is on us, not the fish.
Regarding question, there is always potential but observing fish and tank daily is first step to dealing with the potential or onset. The fish you mention are generally not candidates for ich as they are for flukes and secondary bacterial issues which the meds you are using will address.
Does not mean they're immune from ich but risk is reduced

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back