Do I treat BIOTA tangs? How long do I QT?

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that this has been similarly asked before, but I'm just nervous to add my little guys into their big home.

I have had my Biota yellow tangs for 3 weeks now. They are in a 40 gallon quarantine and doing great nibbling on nori, taking pellets, and eating frozen. They have mini skirmishes but nothing serious.

I've been reluctant to treat the quarantine with copper as I normally do since I don't think they are used to it.

They have no signs of disease. They look amazing.

Should I give them some treatment for good measure? I treated my other fish that are in the display with cupramine but put carbon in the QT filter before the tangs arrived and also did a big water change on it.

Wild tangs are ich factories which was one of the reason I went with these guys and I'm just so paranoid about ich.

Looking for advice and/or moral support!

Cant Decide Fred Armisen GIF by IFC
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you get them from a LFS or straight from Biota? I am weary of treating such young fish to copper and a bunch of meds.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Straight from Biota. I know they are itty bitty I don't want to shock them.

Directly from Biota here
Sorry for the delay in responding, shipments have been crazy the past few weeks. As I wrote in that small FAQ section I do not suggest prophylactic treatments but rather a monitoring period. I try to do a good job keeping our facility as pristine as possible with frequent skin scrapes and gill clippings of our populations in each system so I can be on top of anything if it were to show up. I'm also very transparent with our customers and will not send anything out of a system I suspect poor health of any fish.

I really do not recommend copper treatments because our fish are very young and they can be detrimental neurologically on their development as well as pretty unnecessary. I think far too often we subject new additions to stressful treatments shortly after a stressful shipment rather than letting them recoup in a monitoring tank.

OP
OP
TinnysReef

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that's great news!!! I'm glad I resisted the urge to copper the little guys! They're all doing great, it's been 3 weeks, I think it's time they upgrade into some new digs.

Thank you for your help! I'll post a pic of the little cuties once they're in their new home :smiling-face:

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh that's great news!!! I'm glad I resisted the urge to copper the little guys! They're all doing great, it's been 3 weeks, I think it's time they upgrade into some new digs.

Thank you for your help! I'll post a pic of the little cuties once they're in their new home :smiling-face:

To be honest I think Ich is very manageable with good care. Also if you dont quarantine everything then it will make its way in anyway through corals, inverts or something else. Only thing that makes me nervous is velvet as its so rapid

mshur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 yellow tangs from Biota direct and they went right in to DT.. No problems..

OP
OP
TinnysReef

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here they are!!! Sorry about the glare. Little cuties are all well and accounted for this morning. Love them!!

Me watching the tank ...

In Love Awww GIF

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back