Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240217_202240.jpg

Looking for tips and advise please.

If you have added a Biota yellow tang or and much smaller tang to a tank with another larger tang how did it go?

I currently have a 2 year old 150 (60"x25"x25") tank with 2 full grown percula clownfish and a 5" +/- sailfin tang. Sailfin is very shy and timid.

I just purchased a yellow tang and will be here Friday. I'm a little nervous to add it since the sailfin is much larger and the same body shape.

I will be quarantining the yellow tang for a month or so before adding to the main tank. As well as putting it in an acclimation box once in the main tank.

Anything else I can do to limit the possible aggression from the sailfin? Im probably over thinking it but I want the best for my fish and to live their longest happiest life.

Worst case, if the sailfin becomes too aggressive I can add the yellow tang to my lowboy frag tank until it grows more. It only has 2 clownfish.

Last edited:

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I'd mention is that quarantining a biota yellow isn't awfully necessary since they are born and grown in a lab environment. It can't hurt, but no real reason to do so, especially if you don't have a solid quarantine tank running and ready with mature bio media.

Second, I also added a biota yellow to my tank last year. I don't have any other tangs, but my coral beauty angel did not like the new baby tang at all and tried her best to kill it. I caught the angel and kept her in the main tank in a quarantine box for 10 days, and upon release, she was docile to the new tang.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I'd mention is that quarantining a biota yellow isn't awfully necessary since they are born and grown in a lab environment. It can't hurt, but no real reason to do so, especially if you don't have a solid quarantine tank running and ready with mature bio media.

Second, I also added a biota yellow to my tank last year. I don't have any other tangs, but my coral beauty angel did not like the new baby tang at all and tried her best to kill it. I caught the angel and kept her in the main tank in a quarantine box for 10 days, and upon release, she was docile to the new tang.

Thank you for the insight. Only real reason I plan to QT is so it's not stressed out immediately if I introduce it to my main tank. As well as just double check and make sure it doesn't have anything. I would hate for my other fish to get sick. I have a lot of media in my sump, ill typically grab some to setup temporary QT's when I get new coral and/or fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back