Newbie question

  • Thread starter Thread starter K.G.K.
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

K.G.K.

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 19, 2026
Messages
24
Reaction score
58
Location
Ozark
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to reefing through my son, who bought a 20-gallon nano but immediately decided he wanted a larger setup. I bought his, and it was almost fully cycled when I set it up. I finished the cycle and now have added two clowns. I am excited to learn and also add some coral and clean up's.

I currently only check for PH, Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. Temp stays around 78. The Ph is normal range. Ammonia and nitrites stay 0 and my Nitrates also read close to zero. I have had two clowns for a week now with little to no change in nitrate levels. Is this normal? They seem very active and healthy. What should I add next?
 
As long as your ammonia and nitrites are zero but you have at least some detectable nitrates, it is fine. I would upgrade to some better test kits, sounds like you are using API. API kits are known for not being accurate test kits
 
As long as your ammonia and nitrites are zero but you have at least some detectable nitrates, it is fine. I would upgrade to some better test kits, sounds like you are using API. API kits are known for not being accurate test kits
Yes, API. Can you recommend a better testing kit?
 
Yes, API. Can you recommend a better testing kit?
There's a range of better ones.

Salifert makes pretty decent kits that don't break the bank. There's also Nyos, Aquaforest, Red Sea and Marine Lab. But I'd start with Salifert, as they're usually easier to find and cheaper while still being good.

Higher up the pay scale (though still not terribly expensive, long-term) are the Hanna testers. If you're not great at picking out color differences, they're a godsend. The biggest downside to them is mostly just the cost.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new