Newbie skimmer help

jasonb751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon with a 20 gallon sump, and this is my first larger tank, I had a biocube for a while. Tank has been up and running for a few months, and decided to put in a skimmer. I bought a d300+ and cleaned it super good. Put it in and let it do it's thing. It has been running for over a week, and it just produces white foam. If I put the collection cup on it, it just fills up and overflows with foam, so I took the cup off and let it run for a week. This is what it's still doing, any suggestions? The level is at the exact line they recommend, the gate is fully open, and the pump is at the lowest setting.

IMG_20200206_183738.jpg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all likelihood it just needs time to break in. If the tank is new also, then the tank also needs to settle down to keep skimmer from going crazy.

OP
OP
J

jasonb751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all likelihood it just needs time to break in. If the tank is new also, then the tank also needs to settle down to keep skimmer from going crazy.
Thanks man, so should I have the collection cup drain right back into the sump? The bubbles just turn into clear water in the collection cup.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, you can leave the cup off and let it just drain back into the tank. You will notice that the foam will start to drop when it is broken in.

Coral Reef Keepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the water level in the sump? The first pic looks like it is really deep but the second looks like the water level is lower. You could try raising the skimmer out of the water a bit and see if that helps. Being a DC pump, even at the lowest setting they skimmer should not overflow no matter how new everything is.

OP
OP
J

jasonb751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the water level in the sump? The first pic looks like it is really deep but the second looks like the water level is lower. You could try raising the skimmer out of the water a bit and see if that helps. Being a DC pump, even at the lowest setting they skimmer should not overflow no matter how new everything is.
The water level is 7 inches. There is a mark on the side of the skimmer that shows optimum level. The water level is about 1/4 inch lower than the mark. The reason it looks like it's deeper in the first pic is because the cup is off and the sump is full of foam.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back