Newbie, sort of ... regardless Need Algae help!

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the balled up buds in the picture is a type of paly or zoa. It's a coral and yes certain ones can be toxic if dealt with harshly. Do not boil rocks to get rid of them.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is a lot of rock

If you decide to try drying out and re curing it is going to be a long road so set your mind to that....

Since you are planning to reduce the amount of rock anyway, Start with the rock pieces that you really like the shape of and can envision a cool looking reef structure when you put it back together.
And yes "cooking" live rock does not mean literally cooking it, do not boil it!
Dry it out, scrape and clean it, cure it in a Rubbermaid. A pump, heater, and dark. A week or two drying, a month or two curing.
Rock that you won't be reusing just dry out and save you may want it at a later time

Corals can be kept in display the whole time but imagine it more as a quarantine tank or frag tank for a while, not really a display. Maybe build yourself a rack out of egg crate that you can place corals on so you can easily inspect and care for them during the rock curing process.

With all that rock to choose from, and a little imagination, you could end up with an awesome aqua scape, clean of aptasia, but it will take time and commitment

a copperband butterfly could be added to your tank to help with the aptasia as well they are by far your best aptasia eater if you can find a healthy one that lives. This may be the only way to get the aptasia growing in and around your zoas, and other corals.

If you choose this route - good luck, and think long term

OP
OP
A

Atdymoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read some articles on "curing" rock after it's cleaned and dried, most articles say you need a couple power heads, skimmer and heater. Is there an easier (less cost prohibitive way) to cure live rock?

OP
OP
A

Atdymoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much the assistance on this. I'm going to tackle this but just want to insure I have it down right. I need to take the rock out of the tank, let it completely dry out, scrape off the dead organisms with a brush and then cure it in saltwater for a month or two running a power head in the "bath" and conducting water changes frequently. Is this about right?

Now the LS in the tank? What to do about that? And it sounds like it will be okay to leave the corals that I do have in the tank while this process is in the works?

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have made a huge commitment. But it will be all worth it in the end. The hardest will be patience. This is a process that you can't rush. Keep is posted on your progress.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that's about all there is to curing. Some recommend a vinegar bath before curing ??? Up to you, won't hurt, just one more small step.

The sand is questionable. Depending on your budget I would replace it before you do the whole rebuild. But I suppose you might get away with just vacuuming it.
Either way I wouldn't change it out till the rebuild because it will help with biological filtration in the tank while you do all this.

And yes the corals and fish will be fine in the tank for as long as you need, as long as you keep all the equipment running. Try not to stir things up too much when you tear it apart, and maybe leave a couple pieces of rock you do not intend to use in there for filtration and so the fish feel safe.

Good luck and try to make it fun not a chore. Research some cool scrapes that you like and start planning...

OP
OP
A

Atdymoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually looking forward to it. Again I bought this tank "established" (they even set it all up) and while I've added to it, it still doesn't feel like its mine. Now for my last question (on this thread) .... If there are any "corals" or "flowers" I don't want can I just leave them on while the rock dries, scrub with a brush afterwards and be done with them? I've got a bunch of those zoas that cropped up all over

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, if you can't give them away or trade them - just kill them off
Be careful with zoas as I suppose you know, and be sure to Where eye protection when dealing with them, and try to scrape of as much of them and their mat as you can with a paring knife or such
After everything is dead and dry, clean it off in fresh water (vinigar mix if you choose) with a scrub brush and asst tools.
The better you scrap stuff off, the less stuff that you will have adding nutrients to your curing process and the better your recurred rock will be.

Have fun

OP
OP
A

Atdymoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot if anyone was close enough I'd give you as much as you could handle. I have these growing all over the tank in mass packs, which is why I though they were a nuisance like dandelions!! I think I may keep some and kill off the rest. Is there a way to control things like this if you don't want them taking over? They're not bad looking they just go everywhere.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a lot of algae in your tank, often nitrates will read low because all your nitrates are locked up in the algae. One way to deal with this is to run a waterfall algae scrubber. This will grow algae on a screen (which you harvest weekly), and will eliminate nitrates and phosphates from your DT. They are really cheap to build, and work well. Part of the reason why no one pushes them is because there isn't much to sell that you can't do yourself. I know you have other issues (aiptasia etc.), but I have had a great experience with eliminating nitrates with a scrubber.

Good luck!

OP
OP
A

Atdymoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know where I could find plans to build one of these scrubbers? Sounds like a good additional defense

OP
OP
A

Atdymoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update and yes another question. I was able to remove a majority of the rock yesterday, with the exception of some pieces with coral on them and some to provide shelter/filtration. I removed most of the majanos in the tank and the rest will go away when I remove the remaining rock. Now for my question ..... I have two overflow area in the tank, left and right, is there a way to redo these so they don't show or am I better off designing my aquascape with 2 pillars to hide them? Sorry about the picture, it may be difficult to make out detail in the tank.
IMG_0621.jpg
IMG_0622.jpg
IMG_0623.jpg

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you check your water quality coming out of your RO/DI with a TDS meter. That can bring about nuisance blooms.

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also think about doing a 3 day blackout to deal with those dinos... Doing a 3 day blackout will clear your rocks and tank of them for a bit. The largest benefit you will gain is your corals will be thankful and your LR wil have a chance to catch back up.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 61 43.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 65 46.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back