Newbie with Cheato questions

thall17

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 19, 2024
Messages
275
Reaction score
67
Location
Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relative newbie, have 75 gallon mixed reef with fish and coral. I am an over feeder, fully admit it! I walk in and they come to the glass wanting to eat and I am a sucker! Feeding pellets and alternating frozen shrimp at least once a day if not twice.

In doing so, my Phosphates and Nitrates are high. I was looking to maybe add Cheato to the sump. I have a Bashsea SS30 sump with the Twisted skimmer in the middle. Where would you and would you? Add Cheato? I know nothing, will I need to a light to my sump? As it grows, is there such a thing as too much? Is there a better way to reduce Phosphates other than reduce feeding and we have already established that probably wont happen LOL

Thanks for the help!
 
@thall17
First: what are your parameters and do’t say high. Details matter, what are your measured
parameters of N & P and alkalinity.

If you are running a protein skimmer then consider carbon dosing with vinegar. Carbon grows bacteria that sequester nitrogen & phosphorus. Protein skimmer skimmate is 90% bacteria. Not positive, but assume bacteria N:P ratio is 16:1 just like phytoplankton. If your phosphate is high but not your nitrogen then add a phosphate removal resin.
 
Last edited:
Nitrate was between 40-80PPM according to color chart on API KIT, Phosphate was like maybe between 1.5 and 2.0 based on the chart. I did add some activated carbon in a mesh bag a week ago
 
Activated carbon does nothing for removing N & P. It removes some DOC (Dissolved Organic Carbon).
It is not carbon dosing a reef tank.

Carbon dosing is the addition of an organic carbon source—such as vinegar, vodka, or commercial liquids—to a reef aquarium to fuel beneficial bacteria that reduce excess nitrate and phosphate. [1, 2, 3]

How Carbon Dosing Works
    • Feeding Bacteria: Carbon acts as an energy source for heterotrophic bacteria in the water. [1, 2]
  • Coral Feeding: The bacterial biomass creates a form of particulate organic food ("marine snow") that corals and filter-feeders can consume, effectively recycling the trapped nutrients back into the reef food web. [1, 2]

  • Protein Skimmer Requirement: You must run an efficient protein skimmer to pull the carbon-fueled, nutrient-laden bacteria out of the water column. [1, 2]
 
Nitrate was between 40-80PPM according to color chart on API KIT, Phosphate was like maybe between 1.5 and 2.0 based on the chart. I did add some activated carbon in a mesh bag a week ago
Nitrate 40-80 measured is a VERY large difference, You may want a differrent test kit.,
5-50 ppm Nitrate is a suggested range by @RandyHolmes-Farley

You can lower phosphate in a saltwater aquarium by using chemical filter media like GFO, adding a macroalgae refugium, or performing routine water changes.
Most experienced reef keepers agree that lowering nutrients too fast can shock and harm corals. Aim for a slow, stable reduction rather than an instant drop. [1, 2, 3]

To lower only phosphate:
Chemical and Mechanical Methods
    • Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO): Place this iron-based media in a media reactor or a high-flow filter bag. It traps dissolved phosphate on contact. Start with a small amount so your levels do not drop too quickly.[1, 2]
    • Liquid Removers (Lanthanum Chloride): Products like Phosphate E bind fast to phosphate and create a precipitate. Dose these very slowly into a filter sock or near a protein skimmer to catch the solid waste. [1, 2]
 
Last edited:
I had a similar situation at one point. Did some water changes for the nitrate, and then stuck some chaeto in an aquaclear HOB and put a light over it (or yes, put a light on your sump for the chaeto. Mine doesn't have a sump. Yet.). I got a TLF GFO reactor. I was worried I would be in over my head with this because I'm not that good with tinkering with stuff yet, but it really works and has kept my phosphate down.
 
If you don’t want to invest in a Hannah checker, then do yourself a favor and go with salifert. API test kits are usually discouraged for the very reason your test range is 40-80 on the color chart.

You can sometimes find used Hannah checkers here on R2R.

Hannah reagent cost are in line with other test kits, it’s the initial outlay on the colorimeter that makes them seem costly.

Sometimes you can find them on sale for 20-30% off
 
3yI had a similar situation at one point. Did some water changes for the nitrate, and then stuck some chaeto in an aquaclear HOB and put a light over it (or yes, put a light on your sump for the chaeto. Mine doesn't have a sump. Yet.). I got a TLF GFO reactor. I was worried I would be in over my head with this because I'm not that good with tinkering with stuff yet, but it really works and has kept my phosphate down.

Is this what you got.

Fluidized Media Reactor 4", for GFO, Carbon, Biopellets, Etc (4x18 Without Pump Kit, at $140​

1790737481870.jpeg
 
Relative newbie, have 75 gallon mixed reef with fish and coral. I am an over feeder, fully admit it! I walk in and they come to the glass wanting to eat and I am a sucker! Feeding pellets and alternating frozen shrimp at least once a day if not twice.
That rate of feeding should be fine.

Make sure you only feed as much as they will actually eat in about a minute (or less). Feed more only after that's eaten from the water.

Real overfeeding is when there is food being wasted in the tank, going uneaten by your fish.

Sounds like you have food getting away.....definitely want to put an end to that.

In doing so, my Phosphates and Nitrates are high. I was looking to maybe add Cheato to the sump. I have a Bashsea SS30 sump with the Twisted skimmer in the middle.
How does the skimmer seem to be performing?

I would hold off on any big changes until you get to the bottom of what's going on.

Nitrate was between 40-80PPM according to color chart on API KIT, Phosphate was like maybe between 1.5 and 2.0 based on the chart. I did add some activated carbon in a mesh bag a week ago
I wouldn't say those numbers are a problem per se. They will go down naturally over time as corals grow, etc.

But are you are seeing an issue with your corals or the tank in some way?

Do you do water changes?

Have you done a siphon cleaning of the tank and sand lately? Describe what it was like – did it seem productive?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new