Newbie with questions help?!

Wilde1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all I'm super glad I joined this group. I've been lurking quite a while while making lists and gathering info on all I will need for my first saltwater tank. I plan on getting a clear for life 125 gal pentagon tank. I have to go with a corner unit for now as I dont have the proper room for a giant setup(would die for one) we will be moving so that will change I'm sure. I'd like to stock a radiata lion or a antenata lion with snowflake eel, a few soft coral, and some anemone. I'm also hoping to add 2 clowns and a few anthias and possibly some small Angel's like black tail and coral beauty. Plan on doing a sump system for sure with reef octopus 152-s skimmer and eshops rs300sump. So that's a little idea of what I've been looking at in terms of equipment and stock. But my question is what return pump should I use for the sump?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to hear that you want x amount of display volume per hour through your sump (3x-5x) and how much your skimmer can process will be the limit on your return pump. Both are right and both really don't matter much in the end more than quiet operation, affordability and control.

So go with something in the 600 - 1200 gph range at the nozzle in the tank end. If you want solid reliability and set it up and forget it..go with AC pump (Sicce), if you're hitting limits on heat (no one does anymore unless you're running metal halides) then go with external or DC (EcoTech vectra). If sump is in basement - go for high head pumps (Iwaki). If noise in the cabinet is a concern - back to DC pumps. If you like control and ease of installing backup power - again DC Vectra. Limited budget - back to AC pumps.

So there's quite a bit more to it than size of display. Do a bit more research based on the above and determine what's important to you. With some of those narrowed down, we can be a bit more precise in the recommendations. Good Luck!

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octopus Varios-4 pump for my 75 gallon DT and it has been running like champ. I pull it out every 4 or 5 months and give it a quick cleaning. It is quiet, has 5 speed settings and a float valve to put in the sump if the water level gets too low it will shut off. I have set not too much lower than current water level in the sump so it does to flood my DT tank should something happen with my return lines.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back