Newbie....

zod2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys i'm a hobbeist n last 16 yrs i've been keeping a FW tank started from 2 ft with few goldfish... lateron i have kept various fw breeds... currently m having a 6 ft discuss tank n its quite flourishing so j thought this is the tym dat k shud upgrade myself to a new level... but due to lack of space n experince m planning to install a 2-2.5 ft approx 25-29 gal reef tank with couple of clownfish... so guys wud u plz guide me how to go about it...i mean
1) tank preperatn
2) live sand req for clown fiah
3) coral rock (live) used for filteratn
4) any plants or aneome suitable for clown as well as for beginner for me
5) lighting arrangment for tank 2.5L X 1.5B X 2H size tank
6) filters req(capacity)
7) protein skimmer (capacity n model if possible) n do i actually need 1 for this size
8) chiller (temp at my place is 27-33deg so do i need it)
9) type of salt
10) chemicals or additators prior introducing coral or fish

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! you are in a great place for help and advice.
You need to decide on your tank first - do you want to use a hang-on-the-back filter (HOB) or use a sump under the display tank (DT)? Do you already have a tank you are planning to use? if so, does it have a stand that will hold a sump underneath?
If you want to put a sump under the tank, then you will need a drilled tank so the water can flow in and out of the sump.
In saltwater, the more volume of water you have, the more stable your tank will be. A sump will give you more water volume, but you can achieve a healthy tank without a sump - then you do not need a drilled tank

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Lots of decisions to make and you've come to the right place, plenty of people here with lots of knowledge and will be here to help you. I've been in SW for a little over a year and believe me there's lots to learn. I also started out with FW tanks. As @BummersReef stated your first decision to make should be what kind of tank do you want, another system you might want to consider is an AIO ( all in one) there are slot of us on here that have them. I have a JBJ 30 gal. AIO and my only complaint is I should have gone bigger:D. Oh one more thing this is a very addicting hobby:p

OP
OP
Z

zod2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx alott guys... i think so i need to google all shorforms u r using.... i dont hav a place for sum.so planning to install hang on back kind of filter... or will fabricate a tank.little larger size n put partition in dat keep side as a filtering section as i dont hav any other option... if u guys have any idea or a sketch or pic about a tank plz let me know... this will b my 1st reef tank so m planning to install jst a.tank without sump due restrictn... so send ideas n suggetns about filteratns.....

RJinPV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from freshwater about two years ago. One thing to consider is temperature control. If a discus tank gets to 90 deg F, no real problem. In a reef tank that means dead livestock. Your tank is always going to run a few degrees warmer than room temperature. A skimmer, two circulating pumps, and a return pump in a sump can add up to 80 watts of heat constantly being dumped into the water. With an all in one tank you can drop the return pump wattage because you're not working against gravity by pumping water from a sump below the display tank. Glass is ~4x less insulating than acrylic so it helps in dumping heat to the room and will stay closer to room temp given other things being equal. I would get a glass tank for that reason and also to avoid scratches. Coralaline algae is difficult to remove and scrapers that would scratch acrylic can be used on glass. If you can't keep your room temperature in the low 80's you should think about a chiller

RJinPV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just re-read your post. You already figured the chiller thing out. Doh!
Other stuff:
Clowns don't need sand. Live sand has biological filtration capability but some prefer no sand because it can trap waste
The live rock and skimmer is your filtration. You don't need a HOB filter or canister filter
Don't get an anemone until the tank is stable for a year or so. I got mine at 6 months and had no problems but others have had issues
Find a reputable local fish store and then be skeptical.
Don't buy any anemone. Some will not host clownfish. Certain anemone species host certain clown fish

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.
As you stated search the forums, there are plenty of example for you to get ideas for tank ideas. I used a CPR backpack filer and it worked very well. About three months ago I switched to a sump and located the sump in a closet buy the tank.
Sand is not required for clowns
Live rock is part of the filteration. Look up the Berlin method
The best anomoe would be a bubble tip
Look into LED lighting, your tank will run cooler. Kesssel,or AI prime HD's
Filteration and skimmer, look at the CPR back pack filters
Look into a 1/4 horse chiller
Look at the Aquaforest product, reef salt and 1+2+3+

OP
OP
Z

zod2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As i wanna.get myself involved in this hobby completely i was going through many blogs n googled whenever i get appotunity... i need sum primary instructions like steps to follow once i get my new reef tank... few terms came across like cycling of reef tank n all... so wud u plz tell me what things to be done aftr getting a new tank like...
Do i need to treat live rocks prior stting them in my tank...
2)once i hav my live rocks n sand in my tank with water which all additives shud i need to introduce...
3) how long do i need to keep circulating this entire thing..? I mean i rade about nitrate level, ph n other parameters but usually how much time.does it take to revive my corals...
4) when shud i add my 1st clown.... n ur suggetn about aneomone is helpful... will definitely as it on forum.prior introducing one to.my tank....

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first 30 days of the system being wet your live rock will cure. Your system will have different types of cycles over time and this could be up to a year. In reefing one learns patients is key:)

You will also need test kit to check you levels of Ca,Mg,Alk, No3, and Po4's. The reason I suggested Aquaforest and the 1+2+3+ that is all the additives you system will really need. The 1+2+3+ is the balling method and using this product will make your tank easier to maintain.

The first 30 day you are wait for you the rock to adjust to you system, and ammonia spike. Once the ammonia spike happens the you can start adding a clean crew to eating algae and establish a bio load then wait another 30 day to 75 day before adding a fish. at about 60 day you can add a hearty coral or two.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Thereare many threads on the site to get you started with your new tank. Good folks here that are more than willing to help out!

welcom.jpg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 99 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back