Newbie looking for invert ID

fly/fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everyone is off to a good weekend. I am just another not-right-in-the-head hobbyist who has had reef tanks for 35+ years and still loves learning about the reef world. My favorite tank residents are my 16-17 year old GSM clown pair, who have been producing eggs for at least a dozen years. Big Momma (pictured in my Av) is almost 5” long and thick (or thic?) and owns the left “anemone farm” half of my 100gal tank. She has turned almost black-maroon over the years and her stripes have almost completely receded towards her spine. I have had the pleasure of raising a lot of baby clowns over the last decade.

Like a lot of you, I used to visit the WetWebMedia site for questions. It appears they no longer check or answer emails after Bob passed. I guess I’m now turning to you guys to help me ID a new invert that has shown up over this last year. Seems like a sponge-ish creature with dark, dull green forked branches that are about 3mm thick and have a texture like a soft sponge. It waves a little in the surge, but not like soft corals or anemones. It has grown from a single nub to a 2”x 6” colony in 10 months.

Pic attached, plus a gratuitous baby clown pic

IMG_0382.jpeg IMG_7653.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hope everyone is off to a good weekend. I am just another not-right-in-the-head hobbyist who has had reef tanks for 35+ years and still loves learning about the reef world. My favorite tank residents are my 16-17 year old GSM clown pair, who have been producing eggs for at least a dozen years. Big Momma (pictured in my Av) is almost 5” long and thick (or thic?) and owns the left “anemone farm” half of my 100gal tank. She has turned almost black-maroon over the years and her stripes have almost completely receded towards her spine. I have had the pleasure of raising a lot of baby clowns over the last decade.

Like a lot of you, I used to visit the WetWebMedia site for questions. It appears they no longer check or answer emails after Bob passed. I guess I’m now turning to you guys to help me ID a new invert that has shown up over this last year. Seems like a sponge-ish creature with dark, dull green forked branches that are about 3mm thick and have a texture like a soft sponge. It waves a little in the surge, but not like soft corals or anemones. It has grown from a single nub to a 2”x 6” colony in 10 months.

This is a macroalgae known as codium. No fish will eat it and is considered ornamental while I see it grow wild in a tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back