Newbie looking for invert ID

fly/fish

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 6, 2024
Messages
2
Reaction score
19
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everyone is off to a good weekend. I am just another not-right-in-the-head hobbyist who has had reef tanks for 35+ years and still loves learning about the reef world. My favorite tank residents are my 16-17 year old GSM clown pair, who have been producing eggs for at least a dozen years. Big Momma (pictured in my Av) is almost 5” long and thick (or thic?) and owns the left “anemone farm” half of my 100gal tank. She has turned almost black-maroon over the years and her stripes have almost completely receded towards her spine. I have had the pleasure of raising a lot of baby clowns over the last decade.

Like a lot of you, I used to visit the WetWebMedia site for questions. It appears they no longer check or answer emails after Bob passed. I guess I’m now turning to you guys to help me ID a new invert that has shown up over this last year. Seems like a sponge-ish creature with dark, dull green forked branches that are about 3mm thick and have a texture like a soft sponge. It waves a little in the surge, but not like soft corals or anemones. It has grown from a single nub to a 2”x 6” colony in 10 months.

Pic attached, plus a gratuitous baby clown pic

IMG_0382.jpeg IMG_7653.jpeg
 
Hope everyone is off to a good weekend. I am just another not-right-in-the-head hobbyist who has had reef tanks for 35+ years and still loves learning about the reef world. My favorite tank residents are my 16-17 year old GSM clown pair, who have been producing eggs for at least a dozen years. Big Momma (pictured in my Av) is almost 5” long and thick (or thic?) and owns the left “anemone farm” half of my 100gal tank. She has turned almost black-maroon over the years and her stripes have almost completely receded towards her spine. I have had the pleasure of raising a lot of baby clowns over the last decade.

Like a lot of you, I used to visit the WetWebMedia site for questions. It appears they no longer check or answer emails after Bob passed. I guess I’m now turning to you guys to help me ID a new invert that has shown up over this last year. Seems like a sponge-ish creature with dark, dull green forked branches that are about 3mm thick and have a texture like a soft sponge. It waves a little in the surge, but not like soft corals or anemones. It has grown from a single nub to a 2”x 6” colony in 10 months.

Pic attached, plus a gratuitous baby clown pic

IMG_0382.jpeg IMG_7653.jpeg
This is a macroalgae known as codium. No fish will eat it and is considered ornamental while I see it grow wild in a tank
 
Hope everyone is off to a good weekend. I am just another not-right-in-the-head hobbyist who has had reef tanks for 35+ years and still loves learning about the reef world. My favorite tank residents are my 16-17 year old GSM clown pair, who have been producing eggs for at least a dozen years. Big Momma (pictured in my Av) is almost 5” long and thick (or thic?) and owns the left “anemone farm” half of my 100gal tank. She has turned almost black-maroon over the years and her stripes have almost completely receded towards her spine. I have had the pleasure of raising a lot of baby clowns over the last decade.

Like a lot of you, I used to visit the WetWebMedia site for questions. It appears they no longer check or answer emails after Bob passed. I guess I’m now turning to you guys to help me ID a new invert that has shown up over this last year. Seems like a sponge-ish creature with dark, dull green forked branches that are about 3mm thick and have a texture like a soft sponge. It waves a little in the surge, but not like soft corals or anemones. It has grown from a single nub to a 2”x 6” colony in 10 months.

Pic attached, plus a gratuitous baby clown pic

IMG_0382.jpeg IMG_7653.jpeg
Welcome
 
Greetings and welcome to the reef! +1 Codium. I grow it in my display fuge.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new