Newcomer and new to the hobby

ryanncully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early this year I broke down the 20g H with some freshwater fish, and I was gonna just store everything...but when I went to donate my fish at the local pet store I started asking about the saltwater/reef tank...and well now I'm hooked.

I've been trying to read all these posts and search the web constantly trying to get the most out of my tank and work the issues that come up. I work offshore so I am also always trying to make it as painless as I can for my wife or whoever I leave instructions with to take care of the tank.

I am currently planning and gathering equipment new and used (when I see a good deal) on 90 - 120 gallon setup. I will hopefully at least have tank and stand built here real soon.

So here is my current set up questions, comments, concerns and advice welcome.

Thank you

IMG_9583.JPG

IMG_9588.JPG

IMG_9590.JPG

IMG_9576.JPG

IMG_9577.JPG

IMG_9576.JPG

Coral Beauty (will go to bigger tank in the future)
Sail fin blenny
Clown
Fire fish

Blue leg Crabs...several
Red Leg x 1
Emerald x 1
Anemone x 1

Trumpets
Green Zoas
Rasta Zoas??? I think that was the name
Green mushroom that is now x 4
Purple Ricordia
Australian Duncan
Hammer
Frog spawn
Torch
Feather duster (coco worm??)
Kenya tree
Green starburst

Now I also have some anemones, most people have not recommended....so bare with me.

Rose Bubble tip, great color and is very small
Green Bubble tip, he was much bigger than I anticipated after I got it home and tried to take him back but he was giving me a hard time.

But the anemones have stayed put, and I know that could change real quick, but over a month they moved to those spots after being put in and haven't moved. There tips react and are lively but just seem content. The rose Bubble is my second they other one just disappeared on my wife one day last time o went offshore, so I think it met its fate in the filter or power head. Which one I got the second one it tried to go in the filter over night about 6 hours after going to bed. Before running some errands early I checked the tank and freaked out and couldn't get it out so I removed the uptake tube slightly and placed leaned it on the rock and it moved out to its current home ever since.

So that's the run down!!

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking tank! Unfortunately your coral beauty my struggle in a tank that size. I'd watch out for territory and/or aggression issues.

I must have missed your post in its entirety :) disregard.

OP
OP
ryanncully

ryanncully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to the post and for your info. The coral beauty has been an awesome addition we bought him knowing that it will outgrow the tank but like I've said intend to set up a bigger tank(and prolly others hahaha). With that being said we have had other fish hat have not made it, and this current combination of fish has seemed to come together the best. I don't know if you guys have just felt and noticed the fish come together. The only original fish is the clown but this community seems to mesh well. They are very active I've seen no aggression just a good community right now. They only thing is I have gone through 3 black/tricolor clowns and I really like them. Also with the BTA's are in terrible spots in which I think it makes it hard for the clown, because I really wanted to watch him play in them. But their spots are nice for the coral if they stay out lol...oh well maybe next build.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back