Next Step? Making Progress. A few Questions on New 40 Gallon Breeder

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my first fish (Clown) two weeks ago and a small CUC to my 40 Gallon Breeder. I moved the fish to a quarantine tank I set up to aquascape the tank for a few days and just added them back. (As a newby I learned the lesson of doing aquascaping before adding sand and water). :)

I am going to start adding some more fish so doing research now as to which fish would be best for my 40 gallon breeder.

Looking at the following;

Wrasse
Tang
Blenny
Banggai Cardinal Fish
Gobies
Firefish
Flame Hawk
Dottyback
Royal Gramma

So a few questions:

1. How often should I add a new fish?
2. Should I add Copepods now? Still looking into this.
3. When can I start adding coral? (LPS). I first have to buy two Kessil A260's.

Before
9C38E9FB-24D9-428B-80F6-F9B3586D5016_1_105_c.jpeg

After
IMG_5622.jpeg

IMG_5619.jpeg

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of filtration do you have? Since Nitrates can build up quickly in any tank I would tackle this first.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of filtration do you have? Since Nitrates can build up quickly in any tank I would tackle this first.

I have the Tunze Comline 3162 using Foam, Macro wadding that comes with filter and added Carbon. And using the Tunze 9004 Skimmer. All my numbers are good (salinity, nitrates, ammonia, nitrite). I am doing water change when needed as I only have two fish.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fire fish and mandarin in my tank. They do well together. Those clowns will become very territorial as they bond. Once they start laying eggs it may become harder to add other fish to this size tank. Good luck.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen countless 40 gallon with various fish?

Every fish is an individual. The fish I mentioned have their very own 65 gallon RedSea. I also have a 40 with a six line wrasse and a tiny black goby. Then my other is a 140 gallon. Also lightly stocked. All you can do is see what has worked for others and be prepared to make changes. Luck

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. First ensure the tank is fully cycled and parameters are fairly stable. Them assuming you have adequate filtration and skimmer, I would add 1-2 fish every 1-2 weeks. I would leave the tang out in 40 gallons. You would only need to add copepods if you are planning to add fish that feed on them, like a mandarin

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. First ensure the tank is fully cycled and parameters are fairly stable. Them assuming you have adequate filtration and skimmer, I would add 1-2 fish every 1-2 weeks. I would leave the tang out in 40 gallons. You would only need to add copepods if you are planning to add fish that feed on them, like a mandarin

Thanks. I was watching BRS and they said that you can add small tangs as they take several years to grow large and then swap them out or upgrade (which I eventually plan to do). Why do you suggest not adding Tangs? thanks

All my parameters are stable. its been cycling for several weeks. Clown fish are doing well. Doing weekly water changes. Running filter and skimmer.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs love to swim. Some folks believe they do not do well in smaller tanks. Mine was small when I got it. I think my 140 is small for it. And he is only about 5 inches. He zips back and forth, makes me dizzy.

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40 gallon isn't a good fit for any tang. They are very active and need more space. They will quickly lose their mind and can make the tank a frenetic rather calm place.

With a tank that sized, I'd add one fish a month. Its very easy to get out of balance. What are your parameters now?

As far as corals go, you can add softies after a few months and sps after a year. If you are going sps you will likely need to start dosing, in addition to your water changes.

Enjoy the tank. It's amazing to see a sterile glass box come alive.

- LBR

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back