Nexus Burst Anemone Confusion

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeking clarification on nexus bursts.

Was the initial creation of the nexus burst caused by a natural mutation or was it more similar to grafted montipora where separate colors were artificially linked?

Also, as far as propagation goes: will the offspring of a nexus burst be guaranteed to have the same dual coloration? Or is it possible for the anemone, during its natural split, to only include one color in its offspring? Does this mean that in order to turn one nexus anemone into two (that both retain multicolor) they MUST be artificially divided instead of allowing the split to occur naturally?

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was the initial creation of the nexus burst caused by a natural mutation or was it more similar to grafted montipora where separate colors were artificially linked?

Also, as far as propagation goes: will the offspring of a nexus burst be guaranteed to have the same dual coloration? Or is it possible for the anemone, during its natural split, to only include one color in its offspring? Does this mean that in order to turn one nexus anemone into two (that both retain multicolor) they MUST be artificially divided instead of allowing the split to occur naturally?
Just googled, wow are those special

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We started with one nexus burst from ECC last year and they have naturally split into many dozens of clones. The coloration is based on where the split happened. Some are a good mix of colors, some have only green, some only orange/red and some have only a few tentacles of the opposite color. Coloration could probably be forced by manual propagation @ the risks that come with cutting bta anemones.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guessing it's done by light variation. Also think this topic has come up before and the consensus is that the coloration will eventually be uniform.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a nem person. I can’t specifically speak to the nexus…

All my Black Widows or CSB’s or whatever’s split into the same. They’re called clones for a reason.

Side note: When you have $1,000+ anemones, providence is important.

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a nem person. I can’t specifically speak to the nexus…

All my Black Widows or CSB’s or whatever’s split into the same. They’re called clones for a reason.

Side note: When you have $1,000+ anemones, providence is important.
What do you mean by providence in this context? I have just a single rainbow but it’s always been my favorite

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by providence in this context? I have just a single rainbow but it’s always been my favorite
Provenance not providence! Ha. I’m not typing well today. Sorry!

I think lineage may be more accurate. It is a living thing.

I can (well, my wife can) trace our “fancier” anemones back to the original. So we know our CSB is a direct clone from the original for instance.

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provenance not providence! Ha. I’m not typing well today. Sorry!

I think lineage may be more accurate. It is a living thing.

I can (well, my wife can) trace our “fancier” anemones back to the original. So we know our CSB is a direct clone from the original for instance.
That makes sense, wild to think that all these high end animals all over the world are from the “original” but I guess that’s applicable to a lot more than just nems in this hobby. My rainbow is pushing a foot fully expanded, hoping some day it splits… lol

Netfish and Chill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nexus Burst will take on the colors from wherever it splits. I have the Nexus Joker, which only got the green and purple of the Burst, but almost none of the orange. A very awesome and unique coloring for a BTA. it came directly from ECC as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back