Nicrew for 60 Breeder SPS Growout

Drummerguydw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Downsizing my frag system to a single 60 gallon breeder to use as my sps growout/frag tank. As this will be a somewhat budget build, I am looking at the Nicrew LED lights, and am going back and forth with whether to do 2 of the 100w versions or the 150w version. There is a center brace so it would be difficult to add a 3rd middle light so i'm sticking to only 2 fixtures. I will be using a diy black mesh window screen lid to prevent fish jumpers.

Anyone have suggestions or experience with these lights and tank dimensions? Thanks!

miguelvega76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 breeder is 48 long if i recall correctly , i think you would be better with 2 100 than with 1 150w . Light spread is the main thing . You would either need to hang a bit higher with a single fixture to get the spread and loose some par plus the nuissance of the light spreading to the room. I would like more 2 fixtures of 100 and use the mounting arm that comes with them , keep the par and have a decent spread.

OP
OP
Drummerguydw

Drummerguydw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 breeder is 48 long if i recall correctly , i think you would be better with 2 100 than with 1 150w . Light spread is the main thing . You would either need to hang a bit higher with a single fixture to get the spread and loose some par plus the nuissance of the light spreading to the room. I would like more 2 fixtures of 100 and use the mounting arm that comes with them , keep the par and have a decent spread.
Oh I was more curious I would need two of the 150w fixtures vs two of the 100w fixtures, just not sure if two of the 100w would be enough par for sps with a lid on the tank

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The 100w puts out plenty of light and if you mount them fairly high they will provide a good amount of spread as well.

I've got 14 nicrew lights running over my systems and have been impressed with them. Get the nicrew controller as well. It's better than the Kessil, unless you want simulated "lightning" strikes.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back