Niece gifts me a baby florida pompano/jack fish :/ Plz read b4 commenting

Elcubanodel510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Florida and fished most of my my life here. It can be one of three fish. A palometa which is my guess since they live in the surf and don’t get to big. A permit which is the picture of the huge fish you posted( grow to about 50lbs) there breeding season just passed they live in grass flats and cruise beaches but they spawn offshore. Lastly pompano which pass through Florida coast seasonally during the fall and spring. The last two are prized game fish which if your family was caught messing with could of resulted in a fine. All three eats similar diets of sand fleas/mole crabs, shrimp and crabs.

My guess is a palometa which grows to about 12-15 inches. I say grow it out a bit and donate it to the nearest aquarium. He probably would have been eaten by something in the surf anyway lol.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of them that my kids caught at Virginia beach. They are cool fish and swim extremely fast. They are good eaters and literally gobbled up food minutes after going into quarantine. I've had them over a year and they're only 3-4 inches long. They swim so fast I'm pretty sure they burn off most of the food they eat. They're also not timid either and will nibble on my fingers. When i move to my new house I'm setting up a few large systems and they will be going into one of them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back