Night drop in alk

davsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tank is a reefer 525 lots of sps frags and some lps dosing reef zelements (I’m in the uk) every hour 24hrs a day not sure if you have it in the USA also dosing kalk via a stirrer with apex and dos set to dose when ph hits 8.35 my question is I keep having my trident read a dip in alk every night then it nearly bumps back up to where it should be any ideas why this is happening as I would have thought the 2part dosing 24/7 then the kalk basically starts 3hours after lights outs would have raised the alk! Any help with this would be great

IMG_2580.png

OP
OP
D

davsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So something not to be concerned about could it be down to the ph dropping from the lights going out

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of complaints on the web about tridents and dosing behavior. Majority reefers who have one also has a back up dosing set up. Like Blaxsun mentioned though it’s typical

OP
OP
D

davsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trident isn’t dosing my 2 part that’s on a red sea doser the dos is only adding r/o to the kalk stirrer just using the trident as a reference point

OP
OP
D

davsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph maxes out 8:30pm lights ramp down 7:55pm kalk probably starts around 1am

Attachments

• IMG_2581.png
    IMG_2581.png
    201 KB · Views: 29

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed this trend also on my tank… my trident always reads close to .5dkh lower at midnight… my alk raises during the photo period and drops at night, every night. The tank is dosed equal parts over 24 hours no matter what any test says.. weird..
IMG_2597.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed this trend also on my tank… my trident always reads close to .5dkh lower at midnight… my alk raises during the photo period and drops at night, every night. The tank is dosed equal parts over 24 hours no matter what any test says.. weird..
IMG_2597.png

That's curious. How long have the lights been off by midnight?

Most people find the most alk consumption during the day when pH is highest. Does your pH track normally, being highest late in the lit part of the light cycle?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's curious. How long have the lights been off by midnight?

Most people find the most alk consumption during the day when pH is highest. Does your pH track normally, being highest late in the lit part of the light cycle?
Halides have been off for 8 hours at that point. I have a few blue xho bars that would be off for 6 hours at that point. My ph is lowest of course before the lights come on.. I am using all for reef as my main source of dosing so I don’t know if the bacteria get excited at night or what haha!
IMG_2599.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an interesting twist that I do not know how lighting and pH and AFR conversion to detectable alk may interrelate.

@Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner, any thoughts on whether lighting or pH impacts the rate of formate conversion to titratable alkalinity?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an interesting twist that I do not know how lighting and pH and AFR conversion to detectable alk may interrelate.

@Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner, any thoughts on whether lighting or pH impacts the rate of formate conversion to titratable alkalinity?
I gotta say what ever is going on is working fantastic! I have never experienced such fast growth on any tank I’ve ever owned! It’s sps dominated and loving life! I also feed the tank 3 times a week with gut loaded bacteria, taking snippets from sunny x and adding a few more things to the diy coral snow. Zeobak, mb7, coral amino, and reef roids along with zeozym.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a gut loaded bacteria?
Idk if that’s what it really is but Ive followed some of the top sps keepers and they’re using calcium carbonate or zeozym with bacteria and coral foods..we~I~ they, call it that lol.. mixing up a cocktail of aminos and bacteria and letting it marinate for x amount of time then feeding the tank! The feeding response and pe you get during the day when you feed the sps is insane!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if that’s what it really is but Ive followed some of the top sps keepers and they’re using calcium carbonate or zeozym with bacteria and coral foods..we~I~ they, call it that lol.. mixing up a cocktail of aminos and bacteria and letting it marinate for x amount of time then feeding the tank! The feeding response and pe you get during the day when you feed the sps is insane!

OK, thanks. :)

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’m wondering if there’s any benefit in mixing bacteria/food with a flocculent like calcium carbonate, especially with SPS.

Wouldn’t that make the organic particles bigger, thus making it larger than what SPS can chew?

I guess I need to get some Calcium Carbonate and play with it myself haha

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Hans-Werner

Thanks for asking.

I wonder a bit about the curves. I see it is two days from 28th to 30th of January but there are four swings of alkalinity and only two of pH. :face-with-raised-eyebrow: So alkalinity swings are not day - night related but there are depressions at midday and midnight. How often is alkalinity measued?

Ok, if we say the midday low is due to highest calcification, the midnight low still needs to be explained. Both swings reach the same low level. Is the midnight low also due to some calcification process oder is it a low in conversion of formate to bicarbonate, maybe due to lower oxygen?

Or does low pH influence the alkalinity titration? Or the conversion of formate to bicarbonate?

I will think about it and try to find it out. At the moment I do not have a good explanation at hand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back