Night Fury Zoanthid theory!

Taya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know what you guys think.

I have posted on my account several times about night fury zoanthids. Black with dispersed yellow spots and a blue mouth. They have not been seen for quite some time, and I believe it has to do with modern lighting. When you buy aquarium kits or high quality lighting, you almost always receive and LED light. LEDs have a bit more power to them than halogen lights or others used in the past. While LEDs for aquariums is not three years old new, it is something that many hobbyists are transitioning over to. I have read other forums about people's night furys changing colors and patterns, which are very similar to utter chaos and WWC spellbinder zoas. Under high lighting, night furys do one of two things: 1) they melt rather quickly because their dark pigmentation is not necessarily equipped for bright lighting. 2) they change colors to have lighter coloring, which in this case is the orange/yellow spots. So what does this all mean? Night fury zoanthids may still be common in the hobby, but classified under common names as a morph. I'm not saying that night fury zoas are not rare by any means, or that I am right. It was just a thought of mine that I thought could be fun to share and hear feedback about. I do, however, believe that night fury zoas are very rare and hard to come by, no matter what kind of color morphing has occurred. What do you guys think?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know what you guys think.

I have posted on my account several times about night fury zoanthids. Black with dispersed yellow spots and a blue mouth. They have not been seen for quite some time, and I believe it has to do with modern lighting. When you buy aquarium kits or high quality lighting, you almost always receive and LED light. LEDs have a bit more power to them than halogen lights or others used in the past. While LEDs for aquariums is not three years old new, it is something that many hobbyists are transitioning over to. I have read other forums about people's night furys changing colors and patterns, which are very similar to utter chaos and WWC spellbinder zoas. Under high lighting, night furys do one of two things: 1) they melt rather quickly because their dark pigmentation is not necessarily equipped for bright lighting. 2) they change colors to have lighter coloring, which in this case is the orange/yellow spots. So what does this all mean? Night fury zoanthids may still be common in the hobby, but classified under common names as a morph. I'm not saying that night fury zoas are not rare by any means, or that I am right. It was just a thought of mine that I thought could be fun to share and hear feedback about. I do, however, believe that night fury zoas are very rare and hard to come by, no matter what kind of color morphing has occurred. What do you guys think?
I do believe that morphing has occurred in at least a few specimens. You’re right that the black/darker colored zoas are usually not happy in bright lights and tend to melt (rip darth mauls :( ). With the widespread introduction of high-power LEDs, I wouldn’t be surprised if it triggered the changes you’re explaining! Is it possible that something like gold mauls could be night fury morphed out? Absolutely imo, my zoas are changing drastically with my lighting.

Maybe I should gather some test frags of a few of my yellow zoas and put them under lower par halide for a few months to see if they start morphing to reflect darker coloration as you describe. it would be a fun experiment no matter the outcome!

in the meantime, have you found a zoa that satisfies your night fury craving?

OP
OP
T

Taya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe that morphing has occurred in at least a few specimens. You’re right that the black/darker colored zoas are usually not happy in bright lights and tend to melt (rip darth mauls :( ). With the widespread introduction of high-power LEDs, I wouldn’t be surprised if it triggered the changes you’re explaining! Is it possible that something like gold mauls could be night fury morphed out? Absolutely imo, my zoas are changing drastically with my lighting.

Maybe I should gather some test frags of a few of my yellow zoas and put them under lower par halide for a few months to see if they start morphing to reflect darker coloration as you describe. it would be a fun experiment no matter the outcome!

in the meantime, have you found a zoa that satisfies your night fury craving?
Looking at the shape, growth pattern, mouth, and tentacles of the darth maul, it looks like it may be kind of a "lost morph" of the night fury. I am liking illuminati zoas, but nothing beats that beautiful black with the yellow spots speckled about. Do you have darth mauls? What are the zoas you are talking about perhaps testing with? Maybe I could buy some from you and try under my own parameters as well

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the shape, growth pattern, mouth, and tentacles of the darth maul, it looks like it may be kind of a "lost morph" of the night fury. I am liking illuminati zoas, but nothing beats that beautiful black with the yellow spots speckled about. Do you have darth mauls? What are the zoas you are talking about perhaps testing with? Maybe I could buy some from you and try under my own parameters as well
I was thinking maybe acquiring some ‘maul’ zoas. Darth Maul, gold maul, etc would probably be good because they tend to have colored speckles on top of a darker base which is what the night furys were. I’ll do some digging and see if there’s other morphs that look similar and see about aquiring those as well!

OP
OP
T

Taya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking maybe acquiring some ‘maul’ zoas. Darth Maul, gold maul, etc would probably be good because they tend to have colored speckles on top of a darker base which is what the night furys were. I’ll do some digging and see if there’s other morphs that look similar and see about aquiring those as well!
Darth maul zoas were the ones I am thinking about too. They have only two colors. A lot of the other yellow speckled zoas have green or pink skirts, and I have seen very very varied pictures of pattern in the darth mauls. I'll see if I can find any cheap buys and let you know.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave utter choas to a friend about 2 months ago. Its still gorgous but has turned orange and still has the faint markings of the choas.

To be honest I was took back by the change. I asked them where the choas was and they pointed to the orange zoa.

You absolutely could be right

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
L
I gave utter choas to a friend about 2 months ago. Its still gorgous but has turned orange and still has the faint markings of the choas.

To be honest I was took back by the change. I asked them where the choas was and they pointed to the orange zoa.

You absolutely could be right
utter chaos are very prone to morphing! Could you get us a pic of the new morph?? I’m really excited for this experiment!

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, go check out spellbinder zoas. I think they’re pretty dang close to Night Fury!
1C29CCFD-B1AF-44F8-959E-F33AF208D8BF.png

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like utter choas morph.
Polish_20201127_153015279.jpg
They could be! I’m pretty sure the original vendor is WWC so maybe it’s worth contacting them about? Whatever the case, they look like really pretty zoas and have the yellow on black look that OP was looking for! They’re also sold in a couple of places and I know a reputable guy on here that sells them occasionally too.

Did you get that pic from your friend about the orange utter chaos morph? I’m on the edge of my seat!

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could be! I’m pretty sure the original vendor is WWC so maybe it’s worth contacting them about? Whatever the case, they look like really pretty zoas and have the yellow on black look that OP was looking for! They’re also sold in a couple of places and I know a reputable guy on here that sells them occasionally too.

Did you get that pic from your friend about the orange utter chaos morph? I’m on the edge of my seat!
Not yet I'm waiting

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@footgal
You request has been granted
Last two are mine. The orange are from mine.
received_1109069319536961.jpeg
20201101_212414.jpg
20201002_145905.jpg

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@footgal
20201101_212414.jpg
20201002_145905.jpg
Thier lights are
2 blue plus
1 aquablue special
1 fiji purple
Also they have a marine Orbit 6ft reef light

My lights are a 4ft t5 and a fluval marine
1 coral +
Blue +
Coral+
purple +
Fluval marine 3.0
Screenshot_20201127-183024_FluvalSmart.jpg

Last edited:

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@footgal
20201101_212414.jpg
20201002_145905.jpg
Wow! Amazing pictures! I don’t think I’ve seen utter chaos morph that much EVER, your original colony also has a lovely amount of pink! Especially incredible because yours don’t have a whole lot of orange and it’s not overly bright either, but the morphed ones are almost completely bright orange with a pale pink center. Thats crazy!

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Amazing pictures! I don’t think I’ve seen utter chaos morph that much EVER, your original colony also has a lovely amount of pink! Especially incredible because yours don’t have a whole lot of orange and it’s not overly bright either, but the morphed ones are almost completely bright orange with a pale pink center. Thats crazy!
I know thats why I asked, What happened to the choas do you still have them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back