Nikon D60 - Opinions Needed

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the opportunity to buy a Nikon D60 at a reasonable price. I have been in the market for a good D-SLR camera, but one that is easy to use and understand, as I have no prior experience with these type of cameras.

If anyone has used this camera before, please give me your opinions, good or bad.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each there own, some people like and think nikon are easer to use, some people stand by canon being easer to use. That is ok camera, It will by fare get and do everything you want to do taking pictures of the fam/kids/tank and vacations. My advice would be go down to best buy and play with one. Walmart might even have a d60. I think they way it feels is more important and canon and nikon have two distinct feels to them.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice there. I was in the same boat as you and recently bought the Nikon D3100. I am having a great time playing with it and learning how to take better photos. Good luck to you.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shoot Canon. However, a few years ago, when I was DSLR Shopping, I was torn between Canon and Nikon. I decided on Canon, because I found a great deal on a used Canon RebelXt. However, in researching, Canon/Nikon, this was about the time the Nikon D70 was introduced, I came across a lot of information, that led me to the opinion that the Nikon D40 was actually a better camera, than the D60, and both were better than the D70.

That being said, a Nikon D70, in good condition, along with decent lenses, will serve your purposes very well, just as the Canon RebelXt served me well, for several years. In our type of photography (reef photography) the camera body is actually a secondary consideration. The lens is where it's at, AND where you'll spend the most money. Any Nikon or Canon dSLR, in good working order, will take great photos, with the proper lenses and the proper knowledge of the photographer.

As far as "ease of use," having never owned a dSLR, you're going to be in for a surprise. You'll have a learning curve that you'll need to overcome. Ignore the "owners manuals," as they're pretty useless. Get yourself a couple good books and join a couple good photography forums. Aside from that, there's great photography tips available, here on R2R. When you first get a dSLR, concentrate on learning what all the buttons do and how to change all the settings. Eventually, you'll want to learn to shoot, mainly in Manual Mode or Aperture Priority Mode. These terms will become more clear to you, over time.

Last edited:

joelq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The D60 is what I use, and it's an excellent camera. I would wholeheartedly recommend it. It isn't one of the newer models, but it is still very good, especially if you can get it for a good price.

The only thing I wish it could do (and it doesn't), is operate as a remote flash commander. I would have to jump up to a D90 to get this feature. This allows the camera to control remote flashes wirelessly (via infrared), allowing you to have an off-angle flash. There are workarounds to kinda do it on this camera, but I'd prefer the camera support it natively.

Do you know if it will come with any lenses? The typical D60 kit includes the 18-55mm zoom lens, which is actually a pretty excellent lens for a kit lens. You can use this lens to take FTSs, fish shots, wide angle coral shots, etc.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back