Nilipal 18watt LED- suggestions on location?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tired
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 29, 2020
Messages
4,064
Reaction score
3,944
Location
Central Texas
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amazon product ASIN B0B2JHL8DPJust picked up one of these for a coral QT tank, as I dripped saltwater on the plug of the previous light (while it was plugged in) and shorted it out.
I don't know enough about reef lighting to be sure what to do with this. Basically: how far away from the corals do I want to put this? I need to light a few favites, a couple zoas, and a couple chalices for about a month, until the QT is finished with. They don't need to grow, I just need them healthy.
Should I assume that the chalices might like to be shaded, or to have the light angled away? It seems pretty bright.

I gotta say, this thing looks like a pretty good deal. I'm seeing people in the reviews saying it worked well to light their pico, and the color's not bad at all if you want a more purple/blue tone. It gets pretty hot around the light part, so maybe don't hand it to a toddler, but other than that it seems like a solid option for lighting a pico setup.
 
Depends on the light schedule, the position of your corals and depth of your tank. My LEDs are 8" above my tank (which seems to be the typical height for most lights). Without a PAR meter it's impossible to say how you need to configure/position it, though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new