nitrate and phosphate articles

diemaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guy's

I have searched the world wide web for some articles about maintaining these parameters and can only find posts from ppl saying feed more feed less dose this and dose that.
There must be some articles with some more substance in them other then guessing at this? I'm looking for something that explains of the science behind the numbers.

I realize there are many factors effecting these numbers but there must be some base line articles. I can't help but notice in the last few years more and more people complaining about low Nitrates I'm guessing this may have something to do with advancements in the technology of the equipment that is now available.

Anyways if someone could point me in the direction of some articles would be appreicated

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Completely anecdotal.

from way back.

Not much has been done in relationship to closed environments, such as our tanks.

@Spare time has provided links to scientific studies. The nitrate one dates back to 1996, way back.

in the hobby, we seen trends towards a relationship between nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, calcium, flow and light intensity.

Typically elevated N03 of 10-50ppm and trace P04 around .02+ can be maintained with Par ranges of 200-300+ and alkalinity between 8-10 dkh with decent growth and color. This is completely anecdotal throughout the reefing hobby as some levels I mentioned can be north or south of those numbers. The Masters links I provided is contrary to some of those scientific studies, but they are proof that elevated parameters can and are achievable outside the numbers of NSW and still have beautiful, healthy corals.

OP
OP
D

diemaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow great guys I asked the right question in the right place

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow great guys I asked the right question in the right place

There is a sticky at the top of the chemistry forum which has my articles on most chemistry aspects of reefkeeping. They go into chemistry details and are not just “how to” discussions, but the why and the chemical reactions involved as best they are known.

OP
OP
D

diemaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a sticky at the top of the chemistry forum which has my articles on most chemistry aspects of reefkeeping. They go into chemistry details and are not just “how to” discussions, but the why and the chemical reactions involved as best they are known.

thank you Randy I will head over there

Back