nitrate and phosphate

dodgers88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 40 gallon reef tank that has been up for 18 months or so at this point. This was first attempt at reef tank and have had FOWLR for about five years (and freshwater since a kid). First year went smoothly enough as far as keeping corals alive - hammer, duncan, zoas. No real issues. LFS (and API test kits) indicated parameters were good. Developed hair algae at about the 1 year mark and it was suggested I use carbon in a reactor (LFS maintenance guy who installed Apex for me). I did that and pulled out as much of the hair algae as possible. That's when things started going south. Hammer and duncan both withered and died, as did a second of each. Acans died when I tried those. The only thing that has done well is a pulsing xenia. Ricordea is doing ok (have had it for over a year) and zoas doing ok. LFS then suggested there may be zero nitrates and phosphates and that may be the problem). I've done my reading (or think I have) and it seems maybe I have to get my nitrates and phosphates to appropriate levels. I don't want to try adding anything else until I can get this under control.

When I test nitrate with API it is zero (absolutely yellow, no visible tinge of orange). Red Sea kit comes up 4 PPM. With API, phosphates register a bit (you can see some green). Red Sea kit measures phosphates at like .12-.14.

Calcium was 460 and KH 11 in last night's water test. Ph is fine (Apex probe), temp at 78. Skimmer, power head, 2 prime lights.

From what I've read, it would seem maybe I should try to increase nitrates a bit (double the 4?). But, I've got to get my phosphates down?

Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose amino acids. They contain no phosphates and the corals can use them for their nitrogen (nitrate) source.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising nitrate might reduce phosphate as it's metabolized. Otherwise at those levels I suggest a good old water change. Food grade sodium nitrate is cheap and you can get it from Amazon. What I use to keep nitrate from bottoming.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the algae a problem or under control? That may be the source of the problem and dosing nitrate will likely just make it worse. There are many solutions to algae issues including products like vibrant.

OP
OP
dodgers88

dodgers88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is under control and did perform 2 water changes over past 2 weeks. Have actually been dosing vibrant for past 6 weeks. Did not know raising nitrate would reduce phosphate. Thank you for replies. Frustrating for sure. After initial cycling, things seemed to be headed in right direction. Things turned south after about a year and struggling to keep corals alive.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, it is strange how that happens. There are a thousand reasons for it but one thing I have thought about recently that doesn't get brought up much regarding algae issues is that coralline is very sensitive to light, some types less so than others, and by the year mark many people have their lights cranked. Given enough time the coralline settles in but it takes patience.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back