Nitrate control :O

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 55g is 2 months old and not mature enough to be cycling enough nitrate to keep the levels down. I have a few fish fed frozen 2-3 times daily and a few LPS corals. I run a skimmer and caribsea 3000 filter roller.

Nitrates are at 50.

I would like to export some more nitrates and wondering what the best option for a young tank would be? Feed less, refugium, carbon dosing, additive? Or add an algae eater?

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been contemplating the same thing and some sort of macro algae export looked to be a really great option (I watched the brs vid on it which is pretty convincing) if you have the space and a bit of money to upgrade. What’s nice also is there are a few options now for macro algae reactors which seem a nice and tidy way to export nutrient and help the ph swing.
Plus it just seems more fun to me! Is that just me? Hah!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way to control nitrates in a tank that size Is simple regular water changes.

You could look into carbon dosing as well, like Nopox, and also increase your biological filtration, I use Seachem Matrix for example, and other ways include a refugium etc

An algae eater won’t control nitrates, i will just eat algae

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed less, maybe? What have your phosphate levels been?
I have to dose phosphate as it keeps going to 0, causing dino outbreaks.

I have 200litres of NSW coming tomorrow so I'll schedule a big water change, but I am keen to stabilise nitrates.

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to keep it simple, do weekly water changes. The trend is not to and to add systems that will eventually fail and need maintenance, i dont understand it. Waterchanges are so simple and will never fail.

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to keep it simple, do weekly water changes. The trend is not to and to add systems that will eventually fail and need maintenance, i dont understand it. Waterchanges are so simple and will never fail.

I ran my nano for years with a 40% change weekly. This is the first marine tank I have started myself and my preference is also to keep it simple - but it never hurts to ask for more opinions!

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking into same thing: I’m finding Water changes alone may not be enough to control nitrates. Need something that uptakes like nitrifying bacteria (deep sand bed/ marine pure etc), refugium, algae scrubber, carbon dosing- balance between po4, No3? Also reduce feeding- what goes in must come out.

At lease that’s what I have found in my research as I’m trying to also reduce nitrates.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this and thought this might help lay out possibilities of concept for nitrate removal by Randy-Holmes Farley

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back