Nitrate dosing experiences

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as a heads up to nitrate dosing from my experience. I had a 30g frag tank that was wall to wall and up them frags. It read hard zeros for a while with corals paling out. I bought the ESV nitrates and dosed 1ppm/day per their instructions. It took almost 2 months to get a nitrate reading by the following day. Depending on how long you have been nitrate deficient, the corals will suck it up pretty much immediately. Granted, this tank had far more coral mass/gallon than most, but be aware.

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One additional thing. As you are dosing, watch your corals. I found out that one of my lords was the first to shrink up when my nitrates hit zero. You may have an indicator in your tank that will tell you without testing.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ofcourse I do have an Acan but my NO3 is pretty low and I want to dose a bit to be on the safe side.
Still, I think my Acan was more open few weeks earlier. I mean is was pumped up like crazy!

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending where you are, I can provide you as much nitrate infused salt water as you want. My nitrates are always consistently 30-40 ppm. 340 gallon mixed reef. If you want to dose it I can hook you up! I'm setting up a frag tank and thinking of finding a way to dose my aquarium water to that so it always has nitrates (without raising salinity is the trick).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back