Nitrate fun!!!

Headlessnwalkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my par is all fine except for nitrates it is very high. A big whopping 160ppm. My question from the wise is what is the easiest way to drop them without doing big water changes. I dont want to stress anything out due to its probably what they are used to now. I have a 55 gal. With two clowns a niger trigger and lawnmower. I only feed once every other day 1 block of mysis frozen. I would say rough estimate about 120lbs. In live rock. Im trying to solve algae problem before it goes crazy, lighting is down to 2 hrs. Now.

Reef lvr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my par is all fine except for nitrates it is very high. A big whopping 160ppm. My question from the wise is what is the easiest way to drop them without doing big water changes. I dont want to stress anything out due to its probably what they are used to now. I have a 55 gal. With two clowns a niger trigger and lawnmower. I only feed once every other day 1 block of mysis frozen. I would say rough estimate about 120lbs. In live rock. Im trying to solve algae problem before it goes crazy, lighting is down to 2 hrs. Now.
What kind of equipment are you running on your 55??

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to do "big water changes", then the best way would be to do multiple small water changes and remedy the problem that is jacking your nitrates up. You could also try a denitrator.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit did you use??? If you have a tank full of algae and no3 that high your test can't be right.... Also po4 goes hand in hand with it have you tried some Gfo to bring the phosphates???

OP
OP
H

Headlessnwalkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still kind of old school I've had my setup for around 10 yrs. Most of the time it was fowlr. I still am using hob filter-changing filters once a month. Instant ocean skimmer with 1200gph pump. Two kor3 750gph powerheads. My temp stays pretty constantly 76. I have just recently purchased a BRS 5stage ro/di unit with dual tds and pressure gauge with the chlorine filter its reading 0ppm out the di. I have done four 5gal wc in the past month. Coralife 65x2 pc & glo 24x2 t5, all my test solutions are basically API. But I do also use test strips because I am colorblind and they are more simple for me to notice the colors. When the ladies are not around to help me. But I do kinda think my calcium is pretty high, its 520ppm. my tank is not drilled and I really know nothing about the newer age stuff as in a fuge and etc. Is their a hang on back or some process I can still use without drilling? Im allmost certain its because I did not do WC's and only used TW for top off for quite some time.

Adamacid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the over flow i use CPR AQUATIC, INC - CS Overflows they have an aqualifter so that even if bubbles get in the over flow it wont ever stop the siphon. then all you need is a 10-30 gal tank for a sump, with some cheato. that will solve the need for drilling and the cheato will really help out with the nitrates. also if you do get a CPR overflow i would suggest getting the prefilter they make for the aqua lifter, my 1st one burnt out because stuff kept getting in there. also there are alsorts of digital testers out now that make the task WAY easyer

OP
OP
H

Headlessnwalkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is starting to look a little better. Took my water to the LFS and my nitrates are 10ppm now. I am going to look into another small investment as in either a foxface or yellow tang. Was kinda thinking a sea hare but I would probably starve it to death. Or maybe a gfo carbon reactor from BRS. Any oppinions on what direction I should take. It would probably be better to get a sump. But here soon im going bigger and I dont want to make too many investments for my 55 gal.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 143 40.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 179 50.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 9.0%
Back