Nitrate levels - I'm at a loss...

MMcKenna1029

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a little hesitant to post because it's darn embarrassing when you realize you let things get way out of control but at this point I am at a loss. I have a 29g tank with HOB skimmer in my basement. It held my clown pair after I broke my reef down almost 2 years ago. The only other life in that time is a brittle star and the bristle worms living in the live rock. A few weeks ago I added some frags that seem to be doing well. The live rock is going on 4 years mature and is awesome purple color.

My issue is nitrate

Alk: 7.6, dialing in kalk dosing to maintain 8
Cal: 420
Mag: 1320
PO4: zero
NO3: still too high too test

I historically have tested with all red sea, (i am a fan). My NO3 & PO4 test kits were outdated by a few months. They have always both read zero. I recently purchased the Hannah ULR NO3 & PO4 checker. NO3 came in last week, I test, range too high. I dilute, test, range too high. I pulled out the dusty API kit and check NO3 and it is off the color chart, correlating with the Hannah... Lesson learned, don't use out of date test kits.

I did a 15 gallon water change, around 60%. 1 day later I did another 60%. Corals look happy but I tested today with the standard 10-1 dilution and it was still out of range. I diluted 20-1 and still out of range. I am at a loss. For that to be true NO3 would have had to be north of 600 before the water changes. Granted, I have a few frags that look better since the changes, but they didn't look that bad before.

PO4 checker came in today and I tested, expecting the worse, but Hannah ULR gave me 0.0.

NO3 north of 600 and PO4 at 0?? Is this even possible or am I completely missing something?

I am mixing up another 15 gallons of fresh saltwater now.

I appreciate any thoughts, critiques, even insults if it helps me understand what I am seeing.

Thank you,
Matt

OP
OP
MMcKenna1029

MMcKenna1029

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are feeding?
I was alternating a small pinch of pellet food one day and a cube of brine shrimp the next. The clowns didn't need the whole cube but the brittle star would scarf a bunch. I didn't worry as everything tested low. When I added the frags I was making a point to bring nutrients up.

OP
OP
MMcKenna1029

MMcKenna1029

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add. I just set a dosing head up for Nopox but have not hit go yet. I am not sure at what point I should try to lower with water change vs Nopox dosing...

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you neglect the water changes or how did no3 get off the charts.
Keep doing water changes, it'll come down unless you are feeding way too much.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why no phosphates? Are you doing something to remove them?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May be false readings. Also do not test at least 18-24 hours after a water change and 8-10 hours after a feeding- False results will occur for sure

Back