Nitrate problems...

Happy-Go-Lucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:smile:Hey everybody! So I need some advice / help with my tank.

So here's a quick summary / history of my tank: its a 20 gallon FOWLR system about 9 months old now, consisting of a 10 gallon display and a 10 gallon tank underneath it as a sump. Like the idot I am, I used a synthetic gravel as my substrate, about 2 inchs, I added 3-4 lbs of liverock around the 4th month. I originally started with a Penguin 100 biowheel filter, a heater, basic strip light and a powerhead.

i have swapped out the gravel for LS and have around 10 lbs of live rock. I have upgraded to a penguin 350 about 2 months ago, and have 2 filter cartridges on 1 side, and am growing a ball of chaeto on the other side (i think its growing [12 hours a day of 6500k light], not sure though). I have a few nertile snails, and a few cerith snails. (recently ordered a few more of both )

I have 1 smaller perc. Clown, 2 blue damsels, and a Skunk cleaner shrimp.
My ammonia is at 0, nitrites at 0, and my nitrates always hover right around 40 despite my best efforts..

I have a brown algae / diatom problem for the 4 or so months, I assume because of the nitrates. i remove them with a algae pad but i know that's only hiding the problem. i might have some 'hair algae' on my live rocks? not really sure, just noticed it today.

currently i live in a dorm, and the max tank size is 10 gallons, but the rules are pretty lax so a 20L display tank might be an option, but not unless i absolutely have to.

I'de just like some feedback / help getting this tank to were it should be. I'm on somewhat of a limited budget, so anything real expensive is sorta out of the question. I do frequent water change weekly with RO water.

All input is appreciated 1smile11smile11smile1

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R! I saw you said you used a filter in the beginning. Are you using a skimmer now? Also how much are you feeding?

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use biowheel in my first tank since it was sumpless and it was a great way to run carbon and gfo. First thing I would do is get rid of the wheels and not try and use it as a filter so much , your lr and powerheads will do that. And you really should get a skimmer. A tank that size you should be able to pick one up pretty cheap rated for a 50gal tank

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the biowheel off of the filter. You don't need it if you have live rock and it will generate nitrates, the very problem you're having. Keep using the filter to hold the carbon and add a bit of flow. Since you only likely have 15 gal of actual water, you don't really need a skimmer. You can remove organics by doing weekly water changes (3-5 gal.). Your diatom problem is likely part of what tanks go through in their early months. However, I don't believe you have enough flow in the display. More flow will keep organics in the water column so they can be removed by the carbon, chaeto, and water changes. If organics are removed by the filtration devices, you diatom problem will go away.
Gary

OP
OP
Happy-Go-Lucky

Happy-Go-Lucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use RO water from a LFS with instant ocean sea salt, and i picked up a SeaClone 100 from the same store- just to give it a try / trial run with a skimmer (so far nothing, but ill try to be patient for this mythical 'break in period'). What kind of skimmer do you recommend? im bassicaly to the point ill spend what i have to to get the dam nitrates down lol. :xd: Also, i do have a 100 GPH powerhead in the DT along with the output from the sump-pump, so roughly like 130 - 150 GPH running in there. too much? too little?

Ill remove the bio -wheels today when i get home. should i save them, just in-case?

nano junky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its always a good idea to keep them around in case of an algea bloom but the mythical break in period is not a myth at all you have to give your tank a chanced to build up the good biological bacteria it needs to sustain itself and after chnging you substrate and filter you basically restarted that procees twice so just relax and give it some time and the skimmer should help alot

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 140 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 172 50.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 31 9.0%
Back