Nitrate testing help please!

FuzzySPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested my nitrates using Hanna (which has always been consistent/reliable) expecting barely detectable or perhaps even zero as it had been very recently. Results were 27 point something. After a brief sense of minor panic, I had a palm to forehead moment realizing I had blown detritus from the rocks only minutes before drawing the water sample. Sure enough, twelve hours later they came back at zero (a whole other story). In any event, I suppose I should look at the zero result as the one to use but if the nitrates are in the tank but just not suspended in the water column when using conventional testing methodology, why should they “not count”. What am I missing/not understanding? Can someone enlighten me?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I would assume for the most part that the water would test the same no matter if the subject was suspended in water or resting on substrate.

My one thought is are your testing procedures the same every time? I am very ocd when it comes to doing certain things like testing. For example I “think” every test I do is replicable back to back. I use a syringe to get the water, cloth to wipe the glass vile, place the vile in the same position, use timers for shaking and so on.

OP
OP
F

FuzzySPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do EXACTLY as you do…syringe, wipe, etc. Same precise procedure each time (except for blowing the detritus).

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do EXACTLY as you do…syringe, wipe, etc. Same precise procedure each time (except for blowing the detritus).
I always try to test before I do anything else in the tank. I’m interested in your question too. Like I said, I’d assume it would test the same in the tank either suspended or not.

OP
OP
F

FuzzySPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably tested within 15 minutes or so of blasting the rocks. Don’t know about particulates because the fact that I even blasted the rock didn’t dawn on me until we’ll after the test and after the sample vial was rinsed clean.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back