Nitrate Testing - Red Sea Kit

• Thread starter member 99594
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

member 99594

View Badges
Hey all,

Just have a quick question for those who use the Red Sea Nitrate test kit.

My tank is about six months old. I have been testing nitrates, phosphates, alkalinity and calcium magnesium. My nitrates are usually under 4. Typically was getting 1s and 2s. However, recently they’ve started to climb due to the tank being more mature and adding more fish etc.

The other day nitrates tested about 12. I did two fairly large water changes and tested again. This time they came back at 4. When you test with the Red Sea and you get 4 there is a high range test that you can use. So, I did the high range test and it came back confirming 4.

This got me thinking, should I just be doing the high range test to begin with instead of wasting a test on the lower range? Since really all I care about is that the nitrates are below 5 and they certainly are not going to be 0 when I have live stock and coral.

Thoughts?

Cheers and thanks in advance!!

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Just have a quick question for those who use the Red Sea Nitrate test kit.

My tank is about six months old. I have been testing nitrates, phosphates, alkalinity and calcium magnesium. My nitrates are usually under 4. Typically was getting 1s and 2s. However, recently they’ve started to climb due to the tank being more mature and adding more fish etc.

The other day nitrates tested about 12. I did two fairly large water changes and tested again. This time they came back at 4. When you test with the Red Sea and you get 4 there is a high range test that you can use. So, I did the high range test and it came back confirming 4.

This got me thinking, should I just be doing the high range test to begin with instead of wasting a test on the lower range? Since really all I care about is that the nitrates are below 5 and they certainly are not going to be 0 when I have live stock and coral.

Thoughts?

Cheers and thanks in advance!!
I use the Red Sea Nitrate test as well, and I always run the high range test. The only time I have ran the low range test was when I felt like I bottomed out my nitrates. As long as there is still slight coloring on the High range I call it good

OP
OP
M

member 99594

View Badges
I use the Red Sea Nitrate test as well, and I always run the high range test. The only time I have ran the low range test was when I felt like I bottomed out my nitrates. As long as there is still slight coloring on the High range I call it good

Thanks rl

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I've been wondering about. Let's say you run the low range and it's over 4. Can you take 1ml of that test colored water, dilute it with 15ml of and read that as your high? It looks about right.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I've been wondering about. Let's say you run the low range and it's over 4. Can you take 1ml of that test colored water, dilute it with 15ml of and read that as your high? It looks about right.

When mine is over 4ppm, I remove 8mL and add back 8 mL of RODI water, then multiply the result by 2. Sometimes I have to repeat that process of removing and replacing 8mL again to get the reading below 4ppm (then I have to multiply by 4).

BTW, I am using the Red Sea Pro kit. Not sure if there is a difference.

o00brandon00o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bump, @jrill Great question, never thought of it like that. I always just ran it again. Interested in what the community says. ;Woot

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This approach will not provide meaningful results. You can only dilute the sample water not the test solution.

OP
OP
M

member 99594

View Badges
Is this true. How do you know.

Think of it this way, complete a test with half the solution.

If you were to put half the test solution in the test water your result would be much lower.

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet it would work fine. Assuming that your RO water has 0 nitrates (which it should)
run it side by side, do an 8/8 test and a 16 test. take the 16 test and remove 8, and add 8RO and i bet they're nearly the same color. (or at least within sample variation)

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it this way, complete a test with half the solution.

If you were to put half the test solution in the test water your result would be much lower.

Ummmmm if we are removing 1/2 the tested solution and QSing back up to “full” with RODI water, the color intensity would be 1/2. It’s just the Beers-Lambert’s Law, right? We keep path length the same and cut intensity in half.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet it would work fine. Assuming that your RO water has 0 nitrates (which it should)
run it side by side, do an 8/8 test and a 16 test. take the 16 test and remove 8, and add 8RO and i bet they're nearly the same color. (or at least within sample variation)

That’s what I did a long time ago and it seemed to check out. I’ve done this on my Hanna checkers too (made a calibration curve) and it worked there too.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this true? How do you know?

The color that develops during the test is linearly proportional to amount of nitrate present up to a point, beyond which the color intensity deviates from a linear relationship. When a test sample that is out of range (the nitrate is too high) is diluted, the resultant color intensity cannot be equivalent to the test being run with a diluted sample.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummmmm if we are removing 1/2 the tested solution and QSing back up to “full” with RODI water, the color intensity would be 1/2. It’s just the Beers-Lambert’s Law, right? We keep path length the same and cut intensity in half.

You are making the assumption that the color intensity is linear with nitrate concentration over a very large range which it is not.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I did a long time ago and it seemed to check out. I’ve done this on my Hanna checkers too (made a calibration curve) and it worked there too.

It would be helpful to post your calibration curve.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color that develops during the test is linearly proportional to amount of nitrate present up to a point, beyond which the color intensity deviates from a linear relationship. When a test sample that is out of range (the nitrate is too high) is diluted, the resultant color intensity cannot be equivalent to the test being run with a diluted sample.

Ah, now that makes sense. So clearly diluting the sample before analysis, such that the resultant color is within range, is the way to go.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be helpful to post your calibration curve.

Yeah, it was a quick “check” regarding nitrate with a Red Sea Pro. If my memory is correct, the actual reading when I diluted the sample 4:1 was 4ppm (so sample was 16 ppm NO3). That was my “check” against the initial run where it was so dark, that I diluted the reacted sample 2:1 and then 2:1 again - which was between 2 and 4 ppm, but closer to 4 so I called it 4.

With the Hanna checker, I might be able to find that data as it was part of an intern’s project. He was using the checker as a poor man’s spectrophotometer with methylene blue and also molasses (carbon regeneration experiments). Again, if my memory is right, there were upper limits to the linearity on both of those.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back