Nitrate WONT DROP - even with NOPOX

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening R2R,

I’ve been dosing 35ML of Nopox daily for the last 5 days and the Nitrates are not dropping. I started with 48.5ppm with the Hannah HR nitrate checker. After 2 days it did drop to 38 ppm but just sticks around this 40 ppm range.

Does anyone else have issues with NOPOX not reducing nitrates? Or ideas for why it wouldn’t be reducing the nitrates or ways to make it work better?

Here are my parameters . I have a 131 gallon water box with sump which equates to probably 160 gallons of total water.

Salinity - 1.025
Dkh - 9.1
Calcium - 450
Magnesium - 1400
Phosphate - .05
Nitrate - 40ppm (THE PROBLEM)

Any and all suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it's dropping to me? Are you doing anything else to reduce it?
I did one large water change and have cut my feeding down. Currently feed (1) large cube of LRS REEF FRENZY.

will feed occasional white worms maybe twice a week.

How long does Nopox high dosing normally take to reduce nitrates down?

Dhaleillama

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are lacking beneficial bacteria to me. I had similar issues with phosphate at .15 and nitrate at 50ppm. Just did a big water change and dozed microbacteria7 for a week then re tested and dosed as needed until it was normal. I now add a cap full after every water change.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your dosage seems quite high...

SmartSelect_20211227-214614_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, running a Aeraqua Duo AD600 Protein Skimmer - Maxspect that is rated for 150 gallons for heavy bioload.
You probably don’t have enough bacteria built up yet. Give it some more time. You could also try running the skimmer as wet as possible, that should export more of the bacteria that’s eating the N&P.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are lacking beneficial bacteria to me. I had similar issues with phosphate at .15 and nitrate at 50ppm. Just did a big water change and dozed microbacteria7 for a week then re tested and dosed as needed until it was normal. I now add a cap full after every water change.
When you dosed Microbacter7 for a week, did you dose it daily?

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably don’t have enough bacteria built up yet. Give it some more time. You could also try running the skimmer as wet as possible, that should export more of the bacteria that’s eating the N&P.
I will try skimming more wet for sure. Crazy, because I’m dosing so high at 35ML per day, plus have a powerful skimmer, cut back feeding and have fern Caulerpa in my sump!

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn’t need to dose any bacteria. You already have the colony it will just take time for it to multiply with the carbon dosing you just started.
How often should I test my nitrates with dosing 35 ML per day. Daily or weekly?

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly should be fine. Give it some time to settle in. You are dosing quite a bit. I think you only need to be dosing 20ml. Over dosing probably isn’t going to make it happen faster. I’d reduce it, and then test every week. At some point I’ll bet you see a pretty big drop once the bacteria takes hold.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My best reduction of nitrate has been addition of a pouch of ChemiPure Blue or elite. It will lower and keep it in check (same with Phos) and remove toxins if present and polish your water clarity
Been using this well over a decade

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes, 50% a few times will to be the quickest way to drop nitrate. Be careful of using that much nopox, you may bottom out your po4 and cause some other issues. I dose at 1/2 of a dose or 7ml a few days a week to keep N&P numbers consistent. Total water volume is approx 115 gallons between display and sump.

P.S. what are you testing nitrate with?

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly should be fine. Give it some time to settle in. You are dosing quite a bit. I think you only need to be dosing 20ml. Over dosing probably isn’t going to make it happen faster. I’d reduce it, and then test every week. At some point I’ll bet you see a pretty big drop once the bacteria takes hold.
Thanks for your advice, I will drop down to 20ML as it’s been messing with my PH to much as well.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes, 50% a few times will to be the quickest way to drop nitrate. Be careful of using that much nopox, you may bottom out your po4 and cause some other issues. I dose at 1/2 of a dose or 7ml a few days a week to keep N&P numbers consistent. Total water volume is approx 115 gallons between display and sump.

P.S. what are you testing nitrate with?
Testing with the Hannah Nitrate HR.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy some probidio bio digest , I think you need more diverse bacteria , also you are dosing way too much nopox and could actually be hindering itself

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back