Nitrate

robinmprn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump been up and running for apx 9months. The last month or so I have been dealing with high nitrates and started dosing vinegar recover a Hanna checker today and nitrate is still very elevated above 75. Have done multiple water changes. Andy suggestions and how much total vinegar should I keep adding

DrinkinPepsi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell us more. What livestock is in the tank? Are you skimming? What are the other parameters? Phosphate?

Are you having any negative side effects of this? Any algae issues?

@Randy Holmes-Farley

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump been up and running for apx 9months. The last month or so I have been dealing with high nitrates and started dosing vinegar recover a Hanna checker today and nitrate is still very elevated above 75. Have done multiple water changes. Andy suggestions and how much total vinegar should I keep adding
Honestly, if large water changes aren't reducing nitrates, you need to look at the root cause. Are you overfeeding? Under skimming? Do you have a refugium?

*Are you sure the results are correct and not test error?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes and chaeto in sump will work better than dosing. My experience with it was that it was a better maintainer than reducer.

Keep in mind, a 10% water change will only reduce it by 7.5 in your case. Do 2 30% changes a week until desired level is reached. Then work on maintaining instead of reduction.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back