Nitrate

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what the heck IS HAPPENING I DO EVERYTHING I CAN EVEN 50% WATER CHANGES BUT MY NITRATE SHOWED 100 TODAY ??? EVERYTHING IS ALIVE THO
20240302_112839.jpg

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your source water? Is there trapped detritus somewhere? what else do you do for nutrient export?
My water is RO mixed with Reef Crystals, it's nitrate free I tested it, about detritus, not really sure but what's a nutrient export?, I've heard on the internet but I still don't understand the meaning of it

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water is RO mixed with Reef Crystals, it's nitrate free I tested it, about detritus, not really sure but what's a nutrient export?, I've heard on the internet but I still don't understand the meaning of it
When you feed the fish, you add nutrients (nitrate and phosphate). Nutrient export refers to ways of removing nitrate and phosphate.

Nitrate is removed by water changes, protein skimmer, refugium, carbon or vodka dosing....
Phosphate is removed by gfo or lanthanum.

So how are you removing the nitrate from the system? Can we see a tank pic please? A tank pic tells a thousand words.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you feed the fish, you add nutrients (nitrate and phosphate). Nutrient export refers to ways of removing nitrate and phosphate.

Nitrate is removed by water changes, protein skimmer, refugium, carbon or vodka dosing....
Phosphate is removed by gfo or lanthanum.

So how are you removing the nitrate from the system? Can we see a tank pic please? A tank pic tells a thousand words.
No way vodka wasn't a joke, but I stopped feeding and here's a pic
20240302_131407.jpg
poor filtration you see, I have some filters that don't fit in there, so I just put 3 small one with ceramic, sponge and activated carbon

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @Mr. Mojo Rising said.

No way vodka wasn't a joke, but I stopped feeding and here's a pic
20240302_131407.jpg
poor filtration you see, I have some filters that don't fit in there, so I just put 3 small one with ceramic, sponge and activated carbon
When did you put the rock in? Was it live rock? It could be die off from that.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to get a small powerhead to keep the water moving in the tank, it will help the food to not sink, so it can go into the filter.

Get a couple of nassarius snails and hermits for the sand, they will eat left over food.

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is way too new to be dosing vodka. Vodka is a very strong carbon source and I would only recommend that for old tanks like 2 years plus and advanced reef keepers. You are on your way to Dinos and you don’t want that. Let your tank get the ugly stage, then get a clean up crew, and so on. It needs to go through the process.

I do recommend dosing good bacteria to your tank to balance it out. This is what I use and it’s one vial every 2 weeks. Cheaper on Amazon

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is way too new to be dosing vodka. Vodka is a very strong carbon source and I would only recommend that for old tanks like 2 years plus and advanced reef keepers. You are on your way to Dinos and you don’t want that. Let your tank get the ugly stage, then get a clean up crew, and so on. It needs to go through the process.

I do recommend dosing good bacteria to your tank to balance it out. This is what I use and it’s one vial every 2 weeks. Cheaper on Amazon

So will my inverts survive in that 100ppm nitrate for a while? I actually wanted to buy Waste Away ASF

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will echo what others have said. Don't dose vodka (if you must dose carbon, start with vinegar, the margin of error is much friendlier), supplement nitrate reducing bacteria, add flow and rinse out the sponges regularly.

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So will my inverts survive in that 100ppm nitrate for a while? I actually wanted to buy Waste Away ASF

Other than water changes and finding a bacteria that you can dose weekly or biweekly I would not dose anything else.

Nitrate is more concerning for corals or being a food source for bad algae your invertebrates are less effected by that, however the one thing you should test for invertebrates is ammonia in the water. You want that at zero.

Typically I only add invertebrates or a clean up crew only after there is a lot of algae or diatoms everywhere for them to feed on. Unfortunately I don’t see that food source in your tank yet.

Do you have a fish in there?

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than water changes and finding a bacteria that you can dose weekly or biweekly I would not dose anything else.

Nitrate is more concerning for corals or being a food source for bad algae your invertebrates are less effected by that, however the one thing you should test for invertebrates is ammonia in the water. You want that at zero.

Typically I only add invertebrates or a clean up crew only after there is a lot of algae or diatoms everywhere for them to feed on. Unfortunately I don’t see that food source in your tank yet.

Do you have a fish in there?
I had Clownfish, they died but my ammonia is at 0.1 or 0.2 I think, it's really hard to read

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what the heck IS HAPPENING I DO EVERYTHING I CAN EVEN 50% WATER CHANGES BUT MY NITRATE SHOWED 100 TODAY ??? EVERYTHING IS ALIVE THO
20240302_112839.jpg
I thought the same with mine, but it was to do with how you read the salifert test (in my experience anyway)

Are you taking the colour reading from the side of the test vial, or from the top?

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240302_112839.jpg
UPDATE
My nitrites dropped to 0.025ppm and nitrates to 25ppm but sadly my PO4 is still at 0.5 mg/L, I bought this today
20240303_144236.jpg

First dose today, hope it'll work (it's from that Dr Tim famous guy)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back