Nitrates and NOPOX

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have REEFER 525xl.

I used the redsea mature method which seemed to work out great.

But my issues are with nitrates.

using the redsea test kits, my NO3 is holding at 8 and I’m dosing 3.5ml a day with a DOS.

i can’t seem to get the NO3 to lower. If I increase the NOPOX my water with cloud within day due to bacteria...

any suggestions?

I also have a refugium running with cheato which seems to be growing. I have two clowns and 3 tangs and feed 2 times a day With flake and nori

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does a 20-30% water change help lower the NO3. My problem with using it long ago and it stayed like your saying then the bottom fell out and had tons of algea and then dinos.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things. I have a 525xl as well and a lot of fish. My nitrates for almost 2 years have been in the 10-16 range. I dose 12 ml of NoPox daily now.
In order for carbon dosing to work, you must have phosphates as well. What are they measuring?
What is your target for nitrates, and why?
What is your alkalinity?

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALK is around 8.4
CAL is around 420

Phosphate are showing 0 but i don’t this that is accurate either as I am getting some algae of the walls and my cheato is growing. That said, i did start looking ways to raise phosphates and trying to learn about the red field ratio.

my goals were to mimic my last reef tank (I set them up exactly the same) NO3 1-2 and PO4 .08. granted this tank is double the size and I know every tank is different.

just frustrating. If I follow the NOPOX dosing instruction my tank will look like a milk shake. Also, my nitrates where around 30. But steady now between 8-10. my end goal is to have SPS and with my ALK at 8.4, i figured my NO3 needs to be lower (Based on reading posts and talking to the redsea folks) the 525xl is only two months. I know this is part of the equations too.

just wandering what I shout try, or if I am good, or maybe I should remove the cheato.

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a 20-30% water change help lower the NO3. My problem with using it long ago and it stayed like your saying then the bottom fell out and had tons of algea and then dinos.

So I have a separate DOS running an AWS program. I am doing 1.5 gallons a day.

i though about increasing that to 2.0 gallons. But not sure if that will help.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates don't need to be lower than 8 ppm to keep SPS. Many of us deliberately keep SPS in water with a nitrate concentration of around 10-15 ppm, and a phosphate concentration of about 200 ppb.

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SPS world is a little new to me. I have been running tanks for 15years but never tried SPS.

So I am learning. Sadly the bottom glass broke on my last tank see below

B7758AD1-AC99-4865-B0C1-926ADF80055F.jpeg

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things. I have a 525xl as well and a lot of fish. My nitrates for almost 2 years have been in the 10-16 range. I dose 12 ml of NoPox daily now.
In order for carbon dosing to work, you must have phosphates as well. What are they measuring?
What is your target for nitrates, and why?
What is your alkalinity?

love your tank brother. Are you running a UV?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates don't need to be lower than 8 ppm to keep SPS. Many of us deliberately keep SPS in water with a nitrate concentration of around 10-15 ppm, and a phosphate concentration of about 200 ppb.

I agree, 8 ppm is fine. If you really want it lower you may just need to use more organic dosing.

U

User1

View Badges
The SPS world is a little new to me. I have been running tanks for 15years but never tried SPS.

So I am learning. Sadly the bottom glass broke on my last tank see below

B7758AD1-AC99-4865-B0C1-926ADF80055F.jpeg

Totally unrelated to your tank - more on that in another post - but I really dig the tall vase on the left of the tank.

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, 8 ppm is fine. If you really want it lower you may just need to use more organic dosing.

randy 1st love your articles I have been reading them and using them as reference for years.

so I am dosing 3.5 ml a day of NOPOX initially I was following the redsea instructions and dosing 12ml assuming my water volume is 100g. My nitrates dropped from 30 to 10. So per the instruction I dropped from doing 12 to 8. Then cloudy water showed up which I know is a bacteria bloom but makes the tank look terrible. So I called redsea and they said drop to 4 and I dropped it down 3.5 and the water is now starting to clear and my nitrtate are still holding at 8

what are you thoughts should I stay at my current dose and keep my nitrates at 8.

I was shooting nitrates Between 1-2 per the phamplet redsea sent me.

i would rather stay stable than chase numbers but just want to get to the right place before I purchase some acro frags

thanks in advance

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back