Nitrates and Symbiodinium Density/Chlorophyll Content - New Hanna Checker

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This comment could have gone into a few other forums, but I'll post it here since nitrogen is important in chlorophylls. I received one of the new Hanna low-range nitrate Checkers today. I'll get into the lab tomorrow and try it, and compare results to Hach's cadmium-reduction method I currently use (this method is recommended for use in salt water only if tedious corrections are applied and I'm certain my numbers will be low when compared to Hanna's method.)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This comment could have gone into a few other forums, but I'll post it here since nitrogen is important in chlorophylls. I received one of the new Hanna low-range nitrate Checkers today. I'll get into the lab tomorrow and try it, and compare results to Hach's cadmium-reduction method I currently use (this method is recommended for use in salt water only if tedious corrections are applied and I'm certain my numbers will be low when compared to Hanna's method.)

Watched and tagged

Dana,
For accuracy for higher nitrate testing:
It would be nice if you could test the Hanna marine high nitrate checker too... :D

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched and tagged

Dana,
For accuracy for higher nitrate testing:
It would be nice if you could test the Hanna marine high nitrate checker too... :D

Let me look at the high range Checker chemistry. Zinc based? Oops! I now see in the Similar Threads that there are a couple of threads there. I might have to buy a high-range kit since I'm really unsure of my tank's NO3 concentration.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me look at the high range Checker chemistry. Zinc based? Oops! I now see in the Similar Threads that there are a couple of threads there. I might have to buy a high-range kit since I'm really unsure of my tank's NO3 concentration.

Yeah,
Have not been down to 5ppm for a good while. Been using Salifet because you can do the 10 X's (sideways) test easily when you hit 10 ppm or lower.

It would be nice to have an accurate digital readout testing devise for nitrates.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hana LR Nitrate Checker reports 'zero', while my Hach cadmium-reduction method test (which is sensitive to chloride and reports low) shows 0.07 mg/L. I let the Checker cuvette/treated sample set for a few hours and some color did develop. In addition, I tested Fauna Marin's nitrate standard (10 mg/L) and the Checker reported about 7 mg/L. Don't take these last numbers as absolute - I simply wanted to verify the chemistry was working and I was a little sloppy in setting up the test.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back