Nitrates are gone?

ReefNoobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone. So my cycling has finsihed, I added my CUC and a pair of clowns. The tank went through its ugly diatom stage and that has now passed. Been testing along the way and I noticed that my Nitrates slowly dropped to zero. Is it normal for this to happen? Do I need to take any measures to bring them back or am I safe to carry on as I have been? Any help is much appreciated!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone. So my cycling has finsihed, I added my CUC and a pair of clowns. The tank went through its ugly diatom stage and that has now passed. Been testing along the way and I noticed that my Nitrates slowly dropped to zero. Is it normal for this to happen? Do I need to take any measures to bring them back or am I safe to carry on as I have been? Any help is much appreciated!
Yes, nitrates can become depleted. That is normal. Dosing food grade sodium nitrate is the simplest way to increase and maintain nitrate level.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, if you are still close in time to cycling, nitrate may never have been elevated, but just nitrite causing interference in the nitrate kit. As that small amount of nitrite cycled away, the observed nitrate falls even if, in reality, it rises slightly.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you determine a safe dose amount? I've recently decided to start using it to bump chronically low no3. But I am hesitant to start.
i talked to mike alot this in great deal since i have a 25 aio. I did 20g of ammonium and 1 liter of rodi. i started off low 2ml 2x per day.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would caution against dosing nitrate right now. As others including Randy have said, it may never have been that high to begin with. For starters, fish (all you have right now with CUC) would love to swim in clean nitrate free water. It’s their waste product!

I’ve been through many new tanks QT’s and otherwise. I’ve almost always had the issue of high nitrates for at least a little while. Just feed your fish and give it a bit before jumping into anything. You can give them as much as they want to eat if you want nitrates. That’s usually what most people recommend first with low nitrates, feeding more.

Question is, what are you planning to do? If you’re planning to just have 2 clowns and very quickly fill the tank with lots of corals, then ok maybe dose a small amount when you add the corals if you’re still at zero.

But, if you’re going to be adding more fish in the short term then just hold off. Fish will produce nitrate and extra feeding and waste food will produce nitrate. If you’re going to start off with a starter coral or two like a zoa; let me tell you, I’ve had zoas in zero nitrates for years and they’ll be ok. Might not grow a ton, but all I’m saying is don’t rush to start tweaking things like crazy, especially with a waste nutrient you might soon be trying to keep down rather than up. This applies to all things reefing; it’s a very long term hobby to get where you want to be, patience is everything.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ReefNoobs

ReefNoobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much to everyone for all your help! I will just keep doing what I have been doing in the mean time. Finally going to add my first corals tomorrow so that should be exciting!

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a ton @Randy Holmes-Farley for pointing me this direction. I'm dosing 4 ml in two doses daily by hand on my little nano. Nitrates are coming up nicely. The little patches of cyano are all but erradicated. SPS coloration are deeper and brightening up accordingly. Polyp extension is better all the way around. But most noticeably on my hydnophora. The best part, my nitrates are up and phosphates aren't running through the roof from over feeding. Again, thank you.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a ton @Randy Holmes-Farley for pointing me this direction. I'm dosing 4 ml in two doses daily by hand on my little nano. Nitrates are coming up nicely. The little patches of cyano are all but erradicated. SPS coloration are deeper and brightening up accordingly. Polyp extension is better all the way around. But most noticeably on my hydnophora. The best part, my nitrates are up and phosphates aren't running through the roof from over feeding. Again, thank you.

You’re welcome.

Happy Reefing!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back